Assistant Director of Finance - McDonough School of Business
Assistant Director of Finance - McDonough School of Business
Located at the intersection of business, government, and international relations, Georgetown University's McDonough School of Business (MSB) develops principled leaders committed to serving both business and society. Through our global perspective, we prepare students to compete in today's international business environment.
The Assistant Director of Finance serves as the Senior Financial Analyst for the McDonough School of Business, and is engaged in both the day-to-day business operations for specific product lines and gifts funds, as well as long-term financial planning of MSB. Reporting to the Executive Director of Strategic and Financial Planning, the Assistant Director of Finance has duties that include but are not limited to:
Financial Reporting & Analysis
- Prepares analyses of expenses in order to ensure efficient and effective use of funds.
- Provides accounting and fiscal reporting for all active cost centers at any given time.
- Provides financial expertise for grants.
- Prepares ad hoc financial reports as requested by various programmatic areas.
- Manages GMS financials role change requests.
- Meets with each department and program on an ongoing basis to develop and reviews their financial and budgetary performance, respectively.
- Monitors financial activity of the MSB across all funds on a monthly basis for significant variances to budget and to ensure actual expenditures match resource availability.
- Identifies areas of concern; follows up with department chairs/administrators for explanation; and ensures that appropriate action is taken.
- Tracks special fund balances for the Main Campus; and runs deficit reports on a monthly basis and disseminate to appropriate individuals for resolution.
Budgeting & Financial Planning
- Prepares the annual budget for MSB Centers and Initiatives Programs, and other areas as assigned.
- Prepares revenue and expense analyses in support of the annual budget process, quarterly forecast, and the 5-year plan.
- Prepares monthly variance reports in order to track spending vs. budget throughout the year.
- Prepares monthly budget revisions as required.
- Prepares Journal Vouchers and Cost Transfers to properly allocate funds.
Serves on Main Campus Finance Office and Financial Affairs development teams that design and implement new systems supporting MSB financial operations.
Training & Compliance
- Trains and supports staff responsible for finance and accounting functions in the department.
- Ensures all departmental financial documents are prepared in compliance with University's procedures.
- Reports financial discrepancies to management.
- Oversees maintenance of MSB training website.
Financial & Business Operations
- Purchasing & Contracts: Prepares contracts in compliance with Georgetown Policies and Procedures for all purchases for services for outside vendors, including Travel and Entertainment, Independent Contractors, Marketing, etc.
- Accounts Payable: Oversees processing of all invoices including ProCard administration, purchase orders requisitions, employee and students reimbursements, and compliance with Georgetown Policies and Procedures.
- Payroll: Assists with the preparation of the MSB Position Budget; and prepares and coordinates payroll accounting journals as necessary.
- Customer Service: Ensures consistent customer service while liaising with Provost, Bursar, Budget Offices, and other departments as applicable.
- Bachelor's degree, preferably in Accounting - preference for Master's degree (MBA or similar)
- 5+ years of progressive work experience in financial analysis and budgeting in a complex environment - preferably in a university or other non-profit setting
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Mastery of Excel -VLOOKUPs, pivot tables, macros, etc.
- Ability to develop innovative approaches and adapt to changes in policies and technologies
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and meet time-sensitive deadlines
- Ability to interpret and apply university policies and procedures within complex and diverse organization
- Strong orientation to detail and deadlines
- Strong desire to achieve results
- Excellent customer service skills
- Ability to work well under pressure and function as a team player
- Confidence, diplomacy, and confidence to handle complex situations, especially those of a confidential nature and in interactions with senior University administrators
- Preference with Georgetown University systems, including GMS (Workday)
Current Georgetown Employees:
If you currently work at Georgetown University, please exit this website and login to GMS (gms.georgetown.edu) using your Net ID and password. Then select the Career worklet on your GMS Home dashboard to view Jobs at Georgetown.
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any position at Georgetown University you must submit a cover letter and resume for each position of interest for which you believe you are qualified. These documents are not kept on file for future positions.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please click here for more information, or contact the Office of Institutional Diversity, Equity, and Affirmative Action (IDEAA) at 202-687-4798 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Need some assistance with the application process? Please call 202-687-2500. For more information about the suite of benefits, professional development and community involvement opportunities that make up Georgetown's commitment to its employees, please visit the Georgetown Works website.
Georgetown University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer fully dedicated to achieving a diverse faculty and staff. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, and sexual orientation), disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.