Graphic Designer and Webmaster - Communications Specialist I
Provides technical and editorial support to the center's Office of Public Information. Performs highly responsible and diversified graphic design work. Creates and maintains the center's visual identity and brand. Designs and executes the production of printed and online materials, including the center's program guide and website. Serves as the agency's webmaster, updating and maintaining the center's website, utilizing a content management system and working with website support vendors and center staff. Performs related work as required. Occasional evening and weekend work will be required. Duties are performed under general supervision.Illustrative Duties
- Implements photographic coverage of events;
- Makes presentations on behalf of the department to community and by county officials;
- Produces multimedia productions to support the goals of the department (multimedia may include audio, video or online productions);
- Implements print production projects;
- Serves as a member of the department's communication planning (strategic planning, action planning) team;
- Responds to requests for information regarding agency/county programs;
- Provides assistance to agency/county staff as to the most effective means of communicating information to the general public, government employees, and other target groups;
- May supervise the work of administrative or paraprofessional staff in bringing projects to completion.
- Ability to write, edit and design for departmental publications;
- Ability to write for multimedia;
- Knowledge of photography and planning photography coverage;
- Knowledge of appropriate standards and formatting for online media;
- Ability to use current computer software and email systems;
- Ability to consult with management and other staff;
- Ability to solve problems;
- Ability to supervise projects;
- Ability to work under pressure;
- Ability to participate in meaningful interchange of views on matters of critical importance to the county;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with the public, the press, and county employees.
Any combination of education, training and experience equivalent to completion of a bachelor's degree in graphic design or a related field at an accredited college, university, or art institute plus five years of experience in the creation and development of a wide variety of visual materials. Considerable knowledge and experience with modern methods, techniques, equipment, and materials used in developing finished art work. Understanding of print process is a key advantage. Knowledge of the principles, methods, and practices involved in presenting information through public news media or other publications. Proficiency in using basic HTML, CSS and content management systems (CMS) and web design, with a clear understanding of various file types. Fluency in both PC and Mac operating systems. Proficiency in desktop graphics software packages, such as Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop).
NECESSARY REQUIREMENTS: The appointee to the position will be required to complete a criminal background check and a check of the Child Protective Services registry to the satisfaction of the employer.
Experience using website content management systems, such as Joomla, Drupal and WordPress.
Job is generally sedentary in nature. Visual acuity is required to read data on computer monitor; and must be able to operate keyboard-driven equipment. May be required to lift up to 15 pounds. All duties performed with or without reasonable accommodations.
Panel interview, may include exercise.It is the policy of Fairfax County Government to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 711. EEO/AA/TTY.