Engineer IV (WDCD - CAP)
Manages assigned projects and provide supervision and leadership to subordinates with direct responsibility for the successful completion of assigned Capital Facility projects.
Projects include design and construction for major and complex wastewater treatment, collection and transmission, sanitary sewer, and pump station projects. Manages all aspects of both design and construction work from initial scope development to construction close-out. Responsible for overall management of highly technical, diverse projects critical to the county and often non-routine, for compliance with federal, state, local regulations and code. Handles project quality assurance, customer satisfaction, schedule development and monitoring, permitting, payment, certification, contract management for both design and construction. Works closely with using agencies to develop detailed scopes of work for assigned capital projects, formulates total project estimates and budgets, manages overall project budgets and provides project status updates as required. This position resides in Capital Facilities, Wastewater Design and Construction Division, in the Department of Public Works & Environmental Services and is under general supervision by the Engineer VI (Chief)
Note: the reporting location for this position will be the Noman M. Cole, Jr. Pollution Control Plant at 9399 Richmond Highway in Lorton, Virginia.
Any combination of education, training and experience equivalent to: graduation from a four-year college or university accredited by the Accreditation Board of Engineering and Technologies with a bachelor's degree in the appropriate engineering or architectural field; and five years of progressively responsible professional experience in the appropriate engineering field.
The ideal candidate possesses the following:
- Progressive project management experience including planning, scope and budget development, site assessment and coordinating land acquisition, consultant selection, negotiations and contract management, development agreement negotiations, design and quality control, and construction administration.
- Outstanding oral and written communications skills and experience with both public and internal presentations to various audiences.
- Experience in planning, budgeting, design, construction, project management, and construction contract administration of complex wastewater treatment and collection projects.
- Knowledgeable of various wastewater treatment and collection processes and wastewater treatment plant operations.
- Detailed knowledge of local, state, and federal environmental regulations.
- Demonstrated expertise in managing multiple capital projects concurrently.
- Demonstrate innovative and efficient project management practices for the expedited completion of capital projects.
- Experience in conducting public meetings on capital project issues.
- Extensive experience as a team leader working on large complex wastewater projects.
- Extensive experience in all aspects of construction management, bidding, claims mitigation, contract negotiations, quality control, scheduling, project close-out.
- Certified Construction Manager (CCM)
- Information technology skills including use of Microsoft Office software such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Project; Primavera, and AutoCad.
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES REQUIRED:
- A valid driver's license is required.
- Possession of a valid Virginia Professional Engineer or Architect license. An individual who possesses a valid Professional Engineer or Architect license in another state will be granted a temporary exemption to this requirement pending the Board for Architects, Professional Engineers, Land Surveyors, Certified Interior Designers & Landscape Architects decision regarding that individual's application for reciprocity within one year of hire date. As a Professional Engineer or Registered Architect, signs and seals own work product and/or that of subordinate staff.
With or without reasonable accommodation. Is required to stand, stoop, bend, stretch, walk, climb, sit, type on a keyboard, and lift up to 25 pounds. Ability to make periodic, routine site inspections.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
The appointee to this position will be required to complete a criminal background check and a driving record check to the satisfaction of the employer.
It is the policy of Fairfax County Government to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 711. EEO/AA/TTY.