Vice President of Communications and Public Affairs
Global Communities is an international development non-profit organization. Our mission is to create long-lasting, positive and community-led change that improves the lives and livelihoods of vulnerable people across the globe.
Global Communities is seeking a Vice President of Communications and Public Affairs to join its Executive Management Team and reporting directly to the President and CEO. The central responsibility of this position is to strategically manage the reputation of Global Communities, both with existing stakeholders and by undertaking targeted outreach to new stakeholders. The VP will outline the vision for Global Communities’ outreach goals, and set high-level objectives to enable the organization and the department to achieve Global Communities’ organizational goals. The VP will work with Global Communities’ senior leaders to align all messaging and ensure an integrated approach to Global Communities’ outreach efforts that reinforces Global Communities’ brand values and thought leadership. The VP will ensure that all communications products and services are of first class quality. The VP will manage the Office of Communications and Public Affairs staff, projects and budget.
1. Communications & Media
- Develop and implement a media relations strategy, traditional and digital, which promotes our practice and thought leadership to specialist and mainstream media, in support of organizational objectives.
- Anticipate and develop communications resources, policies and competencies to respond to crises.
- Develop strategies to minimize the possibility of negative press and manage negative stories should they arise, responding where necessary.
- Function as chief spokesperson of Global Communities in the media.
- Provide media training to staff who represent Global Communities in public.
- Advise Executive leadership and Senior Management Team on media management.
- Maintain, update and enforce Global Communities’ media and public communications policy in collaboration with HR and Legal.
- Maintain and update Global Communities’ crisis communications policy with Security and, in the event of a crisis, lead the public response with the Executive Team.
- Build contacts in the media and develop relationships to drive high quality coverage of Global Communities’ work.
- Direct Global Communities’ social media strategy and oversee the organization’s digital presence and growth.
- Assist and advise other departments with their social media needs.
2. Public Affairs
- Develop and implement Global Communities’ public affairs strategy in support of organizational goals.
- Manage relationships with Congressional staffers, committees and members.
- Ensure field, program staff and experts frequently update relevant Congressional committees and staff with information and education.
- Prepare staff for Congressional testimony; write testimony, talking points, and FAQs.
- Monitor relevant legislation and budget issues and take action where necessary.
- Represent Global Communities on policy matters relating to US government policy at InterAction, USGLC and other relevant fora.
- Lead outreach to think tanks, peer groups and advocacy groups, where appropriate.
- Place Global Communities experts on panels and public fora to promote thought leadership.
- Plan and run strategic positioning events, on Capitol Hill and other relevant venues.
- Train Global Communities’ staff in panel presentations, public speaking, help prepare them for questions.
- Provide assistance on talking points, speeches where necessary.
- Assist Global Communities President and CEO with recruiting high level supporters for Global Communities.
- Assist with outreach to partner country embassies and other international bodies.
3. Branding & Marketing
- In collaboration with other senior managers, the VP will identify target audiences, influencers and partners to drive brand awareness to support organizational objectives, including raising funds, influencing decision-makers and engaging in strategic partnerships.
- Oversee the management of the Global Communities, Partners for Good, brand.
- Monitor the organization’s reputation among key audiences and take steps to improve or correct stakeholder perceptions.
- Oversee and review visual and messaging brand guidelines.
- Monitor Global Communities’ market positioning and refresh / adapt where necessary.
- Monitor development sector and donors for new trends, and ensure we are strategically aligned for future funding with current and new donors.
- Maintain, update and renovate the website to ensure it is user-appropriate and uses up-to-date technology.
- Ensure that other website stakeholders (Recruitment, Finance, Humanitarian Assistance, Programs and Resources, and Development Finance) have appropriate support.
- Produce Global Communities Annual Report and other corporate publications.
- Maintain and produce marketing materials on our areas of expertise, countries of operation and ad-hoc publications / materials to assist with business development.
- Produce issue papers, white papers, and other material to assist our positioning on thought leadership and business development.
- Provide donors and partners with materials for their social media, outreach and corporate requirements.
4. Executive and Internal Communications
- Produce monthly all-staff newsletter.
- Assist President and CEO with Executive Communications, speeches, panel presentations, blogs, and media.
- Advise other departments, such as HR, on internal communications, both at Headquarter and in the Field.
- Advise departments and new staff on the brand values.
5. Support Services
- Provides support for business development in graphics, websites, media and public affairs advice, writing, planning and strategic communications.
- Provide support for programs in graphics, websites, media and public affairs advice, writing, planning and strategic communications.
- Travel and plan travel for others to ensure programs are supported through communications where necessary.
6. People and Program Management
- Oversee the Communications Departments’ staff, budgets, programs and projects.
- Align department staff efforts toward overall objectives and manage performance.
- Build general capacity of all Global Communities staff on the value of messaging with a focus on capacity building for Global Communities communicators, including programmatic-focused communicators in programs outside span of control.
- Ensure knowledge sharing between communicators for transfer of ideas on marketing, branding, and relationship building.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Proven ability to lead, manage and develop staff in an atmosphere of multiple projects, shifting priorities and deadline pressures.
- Proven ability to lead, manage and implement organizational change and lead organization-wide projects.
- Strategic vision, and the ability to clearly articulate and successfully translate strategy into results.
- Proven stakeholder-management, including colleagues, donors, partners, press and policy-makers.
- Advanced ability to communicate in writing and in speech to a wide range of audiences including press, policy-makers, corporations, technical experts, funders and the general public.
- Ability to handle difficult situations with diplomacy, sensitivity and tact.
- Proven impeccable editing skills.
- Proven ability to manage production schedules of publications, websites and videos from conceptualization to completion.
- Strong knowledge of international development theory, practices, and issues.
- Fluency in English, written and oral. Abilities in a second language preferred.
- Able to travel internationally to areas of political instability to complete discrete projects and provide technical assistance (up to 10%)
- Demonstrated ability to organize and lead the work of others in an atmosphere of multiple projects, shifting priorities, and deadline pressures.
- Able to handle highly confidential material and information that could have substantial impact upon the organization.
- Excellent organizational skills. Ability to manage a broad portfolio of projects simultaneously.
- Proven crisis management skills.
- A Master's degree in relevant discipline and a minimum of 13 years of experience or a Bachelor’s degree in relevant discipline and a minimum of 15 years of experience.
- Minimum 13 years of experience in communications, public affairs and/or related disciplines required.
- Minimum five years of non-profit and international development experience required.
- Minimum five years of supervisory experience required.
- Equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Must have U.S. work authorization.
Global Communities is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at all levels. EOE/AA - Minorities/Females/Veterans/Individual with Disabilities.