Manager, Software Development (1104-679)
The summary should be a brief, high level description of the job responsibilities. Include 3-5 sentences that give an overview of the position. It is not an all-inclusive description.
This is a hands-on supervisory position responsible for designing, developing and maintaining software applications for USP, which include internally developed business applications, externally facing web sites and web-based systems. The incumbent in this role leads a team of software developers and oversees full life-cycle development of software applications utilizing both waterfall and agile methodologies in a fast-paced and rapidly changing global organization. The software applications developed by the team serve a broad spectrum of business functions from product development, business process management, corporate communication, content management and collaboration with customers and employees. The incumbent helps establish and implement application strategies, policies, procedures and processes to ensure high-quality software development and maintenance. He/she plays a significant role in selecting and leveraging technologies to enhance USP’s social, mobile and cloud capabilities, and to improve USP’s business processes.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Plays a significant role in the development and implementation of application strategies, roadmaps, policies, procedures and processes.
- Provides technical management to software developers in the design, development and maintenance of software applications.
- Provides leadership and supervision for a team of software developers. Participates in mentoring, performance management and hiring of staff.
- Drives software engineering efforts and manages multiple priorities to deliver new products and system enhancements to customers in a timely manner.
- Develops best practices for software development group; Exhibits and encourages innovation into development process.
- Formulates and drives development standards and defines patterns and design principles that enable the team to produce quality software applications.
- Stays current on technology trends and identify ways to innovate USP’s software applications’ social and mobile capabilities.
- Responsible for producing and delivering high-quality software applications on schedule.
- Works with Business Analysts and Project Managers to provide expert technical solutions that support long-term business and technology strategy.
- Works closely with the operations teams on deployment of software solutions.
- Adheres to sound standards and best practices during all phases of software development life cycle.
- Bachelor’s degree required in Computer Science, Information Systems, or related field.
- Minimum of 8 years of experience in software development, information system engineering and application production support, including technical management of software development projects.
- Minimum of 3 years of people management and/or mentoring experience.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and ability to communicate with all level of staff to determine system requirements, processes and data flows.
- Proven experience in developing applications strategies, facilitating implementation projects, creating system designs and solution architectures with software applications.
- Ability to work creatively and analytically in a problem-solving environment.
- Results driven with demonstrated success in building high-profile web sites.
- Expert knowledge of systems, software, programming languages, development methodology and web frameworks.
- Expertise with developing software applications using Java/J2EE, PHP/MySQL and web services.
- Experience and passion for agile scrum and continuous integration.
- Understanding of common web technologies and recent development in social, mobile and cloud applications.
- Hands-on, detail-oriented and collaborative management style with proven management skills to oversee a development team with a demonstrated progression in technical experience and management responsibilities.
Yes. Varying levels of Software Developers (6)
USP offers an impressive benefits package, including:
- Generous paid time off – 13 paid holidays, 10 sick days and 15 vacation days per year to start
- An annual 401(k) contribution, beginning after 1 year of service, of 10% of pay (base and bonus) every pay period that vests immediately
- Comprehensive individual and family healthcare plans with affordable premiums and low annual deductibles ($250/individual or $500/family)
The U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) is a scientific nonprofit organization that sets standards for the identity, strength, quality, and purity of medicines, food ingredients, and dietary supplements manufactured, distributed and consumed worldwide. USP’s drug standards are enforceable in the United States by the Food and Drug Administration, and these standards are used in more than 140 countries.
Being a part of USP means belonging to a diverse culture made up of more than 1,000 talented professionals working together at five international locations. We share our expertise in science, IT, human resources, quality assurance, communications, administrative management, and more...all to support an overall mission dedicated to making a difference by providing standards and programs that help improve the quality of medicines, dietary supplements, and foods worldwide.
USP is proud to be an equal employment opportunity employer (EEOE) and affirmative action employer. Employment selection and related decisions are made without regard to sex, race, age, disability, religion, national origin, color, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other protected class. We are committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities.
USP does not accept unsolicited resumes from 3rd party recruitment agencies and is not responsible for fees from recruiters or other agencies except under specific written agreement with USP.Job Location Rockville, Maryland, United States Position Type Full-Time/Regular