Director, Assistant Controller (1103-679)
Summary of the Position:
The Director & Assistant Controller serves as a key leader of the Accounting team within the Global Finance division and with direct responsibility over USP’s global consolidations and reporting, technical accounting and accounting policy and procedures including the accuracy and quality of the financial statements control environment. The Assistant Controller reports directly to the Corporate Controller, with regular interaction with the CFO and Global Finance Leadership Team.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Manage timely month-end close and consolidation process for headquarters, global sites and field offices, including establishing and ensuring adherence to timelines and ensuring appropriate communication and coordination among site Finance teams and business partners.
- Manage payroll preparation and reporting for approximately 1000 regular staff, temporary employees, and consultants.
- Review all contracts and agreements to determine proper accounting treatment.
- Ensure fixed asset records are accurately maintained per established guidelines.
- Report inventory in accordance with ASC 605 ( FAS 116 & 117)
- Monitor and report investment balances exceeding $100m in accordance with ASC 820 (FAS 157).
- Ensure balance sheet verification process is complete and accounts are maintained, analyzed, and reconciled per established guidelines with all issues reviewed and resolved in a timely manner.
- Work with outside audit staff, both domestically and internationally, to ensure proper US GAAP and IFRS reporting as well as ICFR framework.
- Coordinate/facilitate external audit and review process with independent audit firm; confer with audit firm management on any current or upcoming issues; ensure resolution of audit issues in an efficient manner.
- Perform ad hoc financial reporting and analysis.
Policy and Procedure:
- Assist Corporate Controller in the review and maintenance of accounting policies/procedures regularly, and ensure implementation of new policies/procedures as necessary.
- Ensure consistency of and adherence to existing policies/procedures, with deviations as appropriate; educate management as necessary and appropriate with respect to policies and procedures; evaluate for exceptions as appropriate
- Document and adopt new accounting and reporting policies/procedures as necessary
- Consult with appropriate resources, both internal and external to ensure that new accounting issues, transactions, agreements, etc. are analyzed and understood from an accounting perspective and in accordance with US GAAP.
- Collaborate with Business and Financial Controls Sr. Manager on technical accounting and non-recurring transactions; maintain accounting an issues list; document key estimates, assumptions and accounting rationale to support key accounting decisions.
- Ensure efficient use of existing systems, and provide leadership and direction regarding the implementation of new systems, technology and services.
- Work with FP &A and external consultants to ensure that the organization’s ERP and related IT systems are designed and operating effectively.
- Train new and existing staff on ERP, payroll and other accounting systems.
- Lead a team of ten accounting professionals with an emphasis on employee engagement, talent development and succession planning.
- Demonstrate and promote core values and desired culture.
- Key leader on the Global Finance Leadership Team.
- Work with cross functional groups on topics impacting the finance and accounting operations of the company.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance required or equivalent/related field.
- 10 years of progressive experience in accounting operations, with demonstrated experience with consolidations of subsidiaries, preferably with a global/multinational organization.
- At least 5 years of leadership experience including supervising, leading teams, training, and mentoring of staff members.
- Master’s degree and CPA preferred. Strong international accounting experience working with global sites
- Able to represent Global Finance well internally and externally
- Experience leading and developing a multi-layered team
- Strong leadership and team management skills are required
- Able to demonstrate and apply strong business acumen
- Must be organized, detail-oriented, motivated and able to multi-task in a fast-paced environment
- Demonstrated ability to manage and execute against multiple priorities
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Experience with financial systems implementations
- Advanced proficiency with MS Excel, Word and PowerPoint
- Staff at Manager/Sr. Manager level
- Staff and Lead/Senior Accountants
- Payroll team
USP offers an impressive benefits package, including:
- Generous paid time off – 13 paid holidays, 10 sick days and 15 vacation days per year to start
- An annual 401(k) contribution, beginning after 1 year of service, of 10% of pay (base and bonus) every pay period that vests immediately
- Comprehensive individual and family healthcare plans with affordable premiums and low annual deductibles ($250/individual or $500/family)
The U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) is a scientific nonprofit organization that sets standards for the identity, strength, quality, and purity of medicines, food ingredients, and dietary supplements manufactured, distributed and consumed worldwide. USP’s drug standards are enforceable in the United States by the Food and Drug Administration, and these standards are used in more than 140 countries.
Being a part of USP means belonging to a diverse culture made up of more than 1,000 talented professionals working together at five international locations. We share our expertise in science, IT, human resources, quality assurance, communications, administrative management, and more...all to support an overall mission dedicated to making a difference by providing standards and programs that help improve the quality of medicines, dietary supplements, and foods worldwide.
USP is proud to be an equal employment opportunity employer (EEOE) and affirmative action employer. Employment selection and related decisions are made without regard to sex, race, age, disability, religion, national origin, color, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other protected class. We are committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities.
USP does not accept unsolicited resumes from 3rd party recruitment agencies and is not responsible for fees from recruiters or other agencies except under specific written agreement with USP.Job Location Rockville, Maryland, United States Position Type Full-Time/Regular