Security Officer - Georgetown University Police Department
6 days left
- Full Time
Security Officer - Georgetown University Police Department
Georgetown University Police Department (GUPD) is committed to helping maintain a safe and secure environment on Georgetown University's main campus, serving more than 14,000 students, approximately 1,200 faculty members and nearly 2,500 staff in 54 buildings covering 104 acres on the hilltop. GUPD provides event management, crime prevention, and police services on the Georgetown University Main and Medical Center campuses and off campus properties. Utilizing foot patrols, vehicles, and bicycles, the officers patrol the campus twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week.
The Security Officer maintains the integrity of assigned buildings or areas, understands access control system, circulation and safety systems, and emergency exits in event of an emergency. S/he is aware of and understands all special and general orders pertaining to area, building or functions of job; inspects and ensures security and safety of area or building; reports all deficiencies to his/her supervisor; is knowledgeable of traffic flow, recognizes unusual incidents or unwarranted intrusion; effects prompt and proper requests for assistance when required; and uses communications available for reporting purposes, emergency requests, and normal business. Reporting to assigned Patrol Sergeant, s/he fulfills duties assigned, to include security functions according to all special and general orders in the protection of life and property at Georgetown University. The Security Officer works independently with general supervision and with other security officers, patrol officers, communications officers, and student guards; and interacts routinely with students, faculty, staff, visitors, and the neighboring community.
- Provides building and vehicular access control.
- Provides walking patrol in and around buildings on and immediately off campus.
- Observes and reports security issues, including broken/malfunctioning doors, unauthorized entry, and burned out lights.
- Makes appropriate recommendations to alleviate same.
- Monitors and reports all physical problems as they develop in residential and multipurpose buildings and other university facilities where access is required.
- Maintains regular radio contact with communications center and supervisor, and requests assistance from Special Police Officers as necessary.
- Uses a variety of communication devices for emergencies.
- Provides security at University events as assigned.
Provides access into university facilities and information to students, faculty, staff, visitors, and community members.
As assigned, operates SafeRides vehicles as dispatched by GUPD.
- High school diploma or certified equivalency
- At least 1 year of general work experience - preference for 1 year of security, law enforcement or military experience
- An equivalent combination of training and experience may be considered in lieu of above requirements.
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Possession of a valid driver's license with no violations in the last three years and able to pass Georgetown University driver's certification
- Possession of, or qualify for, a Security Officer's Commission.in the District of Columbia
- Pass a written test, a report writing test, drug screening test, physical examination by a medical doctor to University specifications, extensive psychological testing; and - post-offer - a background check
- Basic computer skills, including word processing - preference for administrative and clerical skills
- Possession of tact, patience, and a courteous demeanor in order to deal with students, staff, faculty, visitors, and community members
- Respect for the of use of services in relation to a University environment
- Good verbal and written communications skills, including report writing
- Ability to frequently move items up to 25 pounds in weight and occasionally move items up to 50 pounds; and to walk or stand with operation of controls.
- Availability and willingness to work extended, odd, or off hours, according to department needs, to include rotating tours of duty (day shifts, evening shifts, overnight shifts) with fluctuating days off
The Security Officer position is an emergency position that requires the incumbent, unless otherwise directed, to report to work during inclement weather at the regularly scheduled time, regardless of whether the University is closed, opening late, or closing early.
Current Georgetown Employees:
If you currently work at Georgetown University, please exit this website and login to GMS (gms.georgetown.edu) using your Net ID and password. Then select the Career worklet on your GMS Home dashboard to view Jobs at Georgetown.
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any position at Georgetown University you must submit a cover letter and resume for each position of interest for which you believe you are qualified. These documents are not kept on file for future positions.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please click here for more information, or contact the Office of Institutional Diversity, Equity, and Affirmative Action (IDEAA) at 202-687-4798 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Need some assistance with the application process? Please call 202-687-2500. For more information about the suite of benefits, professional development and community involvement opportunities that make up Georgetown's commitment to its employees, please visit the Georgetown Works website.
Georgetown University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer fully dedicated to achieving a diverse faculty and staff. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, and sexual orientation), disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.