Social Media Strategist
Position Summary/ Objective
The Social Media Strategist leads global social media marketing efforts. Working to create best-in-class strategies, breakthrough creative content and leveraging both established and emerging platforms, this individual will direct all social media activities to help engage new and existing supporters in ways that ultimately drive acquisition of IFAW donors and advocates.
Working to develop robust, integrated social media strategies that build the IFAW brand globally, as well as drive engagement and advocacy for our animal welfare and conservation efforts, the Social Media Strategist will develop and manage a broad strategy to innovate and set world-class standards for social media marketing.
This position will create and implement highly sharable content that is creative, attention-getting and on-brand for our projects. This leader will work closely with the brand, comms, fundraising, and program teams to ensure that social media plans are effectively integrated into brand marketing, fundraising and paid media efforts to help us grow.
The Social Media Strategist will use social media to strategically build brands, create attention and generate user advocacy on a global scale. They will develop highly creative social media marketing campaigns and demonstrate the ability to think big and implement innovative ideas in ways that create significant social sharing. They will formulate and implement best-practices and measurement tools that provide enhanced opportunities to engage audiences.
This position will need to work cooperatively with other internal stakeholders both in the USA and abroad while helping to install the infrastructure to create at a rapid pace and test, deliver, learn and adapt. This role will offer a unique blend of creative instincts, social media marketing aptitude, measurement and management skills.
Role and Responsibilities
- Own the development of a strategic social media marketing plan and its associated budget across campaigns and channels.
- Work to find fast, creative and efficient ways to build, execute and measure innovative social media marketing plans that connect with supporters, maximize engagement and create sharing, and advocacy.
- Lead the development and direct the implementation of a wide range of content forms, including video, text, still imagery, animation, live action and other content forms that best utilize the technology available on any given social media/digital platform.
- Provide thought leadership on ways to reach and gain attention of target audiences.
- Plan and manage campaign executions, on time, on budget, to scope.
- Formulate and implement best-practices and measurement tools that provide enhanced opportunities to engage audiences.
- Work to measure the value and impact of our social media.
- Work effectively with other groups within IFAW especially comms, project and country heads, fundraising and international teams.
- Prepare weekly and monthly reports on growth and user engagement
- Train internal teams to integrate and maintain a cohesive social media strategy
- Stay up-to-date with new digital technologies and social media best practices
- Must be passionate about animal welfare and conservation and be inspired by the prospect of growing IFAW on a global scale
Qualifications and Education Requirements
- BA in relevant discipline preferred
- 7 years of experience in social media marketing and creative development
- Understand of how to use social media to strategically build brands, create attention and generate user advocacy on a global scale
- Experience working on social media within a global organization with multiple social teams and accounts.
- Deep understanding of data and measurement
- Commitment to A/B testing, tracking, refining content and messages
- Skilled manager capable of leading a multi-cultural, international team to meet demanding deadlines and fundraising targets; previous experience leading teams
- Excellent editorial, verbal and written communication skills
- Some domestic and international travel required
- Prior editorial expertise a plus
- Prior online fundraising a plus
- Familiarity with web design and publishing