The American Association of University Professors (AAUP) is pleased to announce an executive assistant position, located in our Washington, DC office, to be filled as soon as possible. This is an exciting opportunity at a critically important time in the AAUP, the academy, and the US labor movement. The executive assistant will provide the principal administrative support to the AAUP executive director, the president, the executive committee, and the council. The executive assistant works directly the executive director, to assist in coordinating schedules, meetings and other responsibilities. The executive assistant will be the primary coordinator for multiple annually scheduled meetings of the governing boards of the AAUP and its related foundation. This coordination requires working with other staff as well as with outside vendors. The position reports directly to the executive director.
Duties and Responsibilities
- preparing notices, agendas, and notebook materials, and minutes for several governing board meetings per year and coordinating those meetings;
- orienting new council and other governing board members by providing informational materials as well as coordinating new member orientation annually;
- supporting the AAUP annual business meeting each June; facilitating appointment of the annual business meeting committees; coordinating the agenda and materials for the plenary sessions, council meetings, and executive committee meetings; taking minutes and writing summary report for those meetings; following up on meeting related issues as necessary;
- reviewing and processing travel reimbursement requests for executive director and elected leaders;
- coordinating the annual appointments to national committees and producing the committee listings for publication;
- providing logistical assistance for the AAUP annual meeting;
- maintaining organizational policy files and records and assisting the president and executive director to ensure adherence to these policies;
- facilitating the posting of new positions and the candidate search process;
- facilitating the senior program officer reappointment review process;
- maintaining and updating the executive committee and board contact lists;
- providing board minutes and board contact lists for the annual audit and required legal compliance processes;
- organizing staff meetings and events, including setting up staff conference calls and coordinating follow-up action and communications;
- keeping executive director contacts up-to-date both in Outlook and organizational database; and maintaining the executive director’s and the president’s schedule and calendar;
- primary responsibility for grants administration for the AAUP Foundation;
- other general administrative support for the AAUP and its related entities.
- other duties, including special projects, as assigned;
- ability and willingness to work long, irregular hours and weekends as needed.
- Ability to organize and prioritize multiple projects, working with minimal supervision and completing projects to meet tight deadlines.
- Ability and demonstrable skill researching issues and supporting activities related to the operations of the Association’s three organizational entities.
- Excellent written and verbal skills, including the ability to independently draft correspondence, format documents, and proofread typed material for grammatical, typographical and spelling errors.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to handle sensitive and confidential situations.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Equivalent administrative work experience required. Experience working in an association or union setting preferred.
- Experience and demonstrated ability to work with professional groups and individuals.
- Superior computer proficiency skills—including working familiarity with MS Office suite
Salary range: $55,000 for minimum qualifications. Higher salary for preferred qualifications. Generous benefits package.
This executive assistant position is categorized as an administrative assistant position in the Office of the Executive Director. This is a non-exempt position and is eligible for overtime pay. This is a confidential position, and is not included in the staff union bargaining unit.
To apply, email a resume with cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Executive Assistant Search-YOUR NAME” in the subject line of the email. You may also mail your resume and cover letter to AAUP, 1133 Nineteenth Street, NW, Suite 200, Washington, DC 20036, Attention: Executive Assistant Search. No phone calls please. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until position is filled.
The AAUP is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, disability, race, color, religion, national origin, marital status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, personal appearance, family responsibilities, genetic information, matriculation, political affiliation, or other characteristics unrelated to professional performance.
Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Apply for Executive Assistant
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly