Occasional travel - Occasional travel for training and work assignments may be required.
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
- Selection and retention in this position is contingent on a successfully adjudicated FBI National Criminal History Check (fingerprint check) and a background investigation.
- Successful completion of a 1 year probationary period (if new hire to the Federal service).
- This position is eligible for telework within the local commuting area of the duty location of the position. Employee participation in telework is at the discretion of the supervisor.
- Physical Demands- The work is sedentary. No unusual physical demands are required in the assignments.
- Work Environment- The work is generally performed in an office setting or in other similar surroundings. Work is performed under established safety policy and procedures.
Applicants must meet all qualifications and eligibility requirements by the closing date of the announcement including the following specialized experience and/or education, as identified by grade level.
TIME IN GRADE: Federal employees must meet time-in-grade requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
- Using independent research, interviewing, and data-gathering techniques, write and edit (in some cases, substantively) a wide variety of written products, often dealing with complex, scientific/technical subjects-tailoring the material to the intended audiences while applying grammar, punctuation, style and format requirements.
- Writing and editing regulatory documents, per the Office of Management and Budget or the Federal Register guidelines.
- Analyzing complex and/or sensitive policy matters and negotiating with program personnel and senior officials regarding effective approaches to communication issues.
- Understanding of policy issues impacting the livestock, poultry, and seed industries.
- Planning and carrying out multiple assignments/projects with competing deadlines in order to meet time and quality requirements.
Equivalent combinations of education and experience are qualifying for this grade level.
FOR THE GS-12 LEVEL: Applicants must have one year of specialized experience (equivalent to the GS-11 level) that may have been obtained in the private or public (local, county, state, Federal) sectors which demonstrates:
- Using advanced knowledge of grammar, editing, and composition practices (such as the use of logic, parallel construction, transitions, and similar elements), style requirements, and effective communication concepts to develop, restructure, and revise complex scientific and/or technical documents (including high-level speeches/talking points, program/organizational strategic plans, and other mission critical documents) appropriate for a broad range of audiences.
- Using advanced research, interviewing, and data-gathering techniques to obtain accurate, responsive information for a wide variety of communication products.
- Using established contacts in the appropriate private industry, agency, and programs for information and assistance when developing content for documents.
- Reviewing, editing, and presenting more complex regulatory documents (e.g., rules) and policy briefings for senior/political officials.
(Note: There is no education substitution for this grade level.)
TRANSCRIPTS are required if:
- You are qualifying for the position based on education.
- You are qualifying for this position based on a combination of experience and education.
COMBINATION OF EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE AT THE GS-11 GRADE LEVEL: Applicants may have combinations of successfully completed education and specialized experience to meet total qualification requirements. The total percentages must equal at least 100 percent to qualify for that grade level. To learn more about combining education and experience for this series, click the following: Combining Education and Experience for Administrative and Management PositionsExperience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
- Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP), Reemployment Priority List (RPL), or Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP): For information on how to apply as a CTAP, RPL, or ICTAP eligible see https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/workforce-restructuring/employee-guide-to-career-transition/. To exercise selection priority for this vacancy, CTAP/RPL/ICTAP candidates must meet the basic eligibility requirements and all selective factors. CTAP/ICTAP candidates must be rated and determined to be well qualified (or above) based on an evaluation of the competencies listed in the How You Will Be Evaluated section. When assessed through a score-based category rating method, CTAP/ICTAP applicants must receive a rating of at least 85 out of a possible 100
- More than one selection may be made if another vacancy occurs within 90 days of the issuance of the certification of eligibles.
Persons with disabilities who require alternative means for communication of program information (Braille, large print, audiotape, etc) should contact: USDAs TARGET Center at 202-720-2600 (voice and TDD).
- Direct Deposit – Per Public Law 104-134 all Federal employees are required to have federal payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of your choosing.
- E-Verify: Federal law requires agencies to use the E-Verify system to confirm the employment eligibility of all new hires. If you are selected as a newly hired employee, the documentation you present for purposes of completing the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Form I-9 on your entry-on-duty date will be verified through the DHS E-VERIFY system. Under the system, the new hire is required to resolve any identified discrepancies as a condition of continued employment.
- It is the policy of the Government not to deny employment simply because an individual has been unemployed or has had financial difficulties that have arisen through no fault of the individual. See more information at: http://www.chcoc.gov/transmittals/TransmittalDetails.aspx?TransmittalID=6465
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
You will be evaluated based on your qualifications for this position as evidenced by the experience, education, and training you described in your application package, as well as the responses to the Assessment Questionnaire to determine the degree to which you possess the knowledge, skills, abilities and competencies listed below:
Writing and Editing
Written Materials Review
Your application, including the online Assessment Questionnaire, will be reviewed to determine if you meet (a) minimum qualification requirements and (b) the resume supports the answers provided to the job-specific questions. Your resume must clearly support your responses to all the questions addressing experience and education relevant to this position. Applicants who meet the minimum qualification requirements and are determined to be among the best qualified candidates will be referred to the hiring manager for consideration. Noncompetitive candidates and applicants under some special hiring authorities need to meet minimum qualifications to be referred.
Note: If, after reviewing your resume and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and or experience, your rating may be lowered to more accurately reflect the submitted documentation. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating. Providing inaccurate information on Federal documents could be grounds for non-selection disciplinary action up to including removal from the Federal service.
Clicking the link below will present a preview of the application form; i.e. the online questionnaire. The application form link below will only provide a preview and does not initiate the application process. To initiate the online application process, click the "Apply Online" button to the right.
To view the application form, visit: https://ams.usda.ntis.gov/cp/?event=jobs.previewApplication&jobid=8D396ED8-CC57-4EE3-A63B-A8D500DF9B66 Read more Security clearance Public Trust - Background Investigation