Systems/Applications Programmer and Developer
This position will be responsible for developing and integrating new and existing applications into the technical infrastructure and business processes. It will also be responsible for helping to identify and then implement automated solutions for provisioning of network equipment (edge switches, routers, wireless access points, storage devices, Active Directory, etc.). The position will implement alerts when utilization of systems and network switches hit certain thresholds and work with the network team on projects such as software defined networks, firewall automation and client performance monitoring. He/She will be responsible for the design, operation, development and administration of enterprise applications.
- Run automated and scripted jobs to address configuration problems
- Write custom MySQL, Web, PHP, Python applications to address specific GU-Q requirements
- Develop and maintain applications and databases by evaluating the needs
- Ensure maintenance activities are scheduled and executed
- Maintain computer systems and programming guidelines by writing and updating policies and procedure; develop technical standards procedures for network operations
- Maintain custom configuration management software written in PHP and other languages
- Respond to queries raised by email, telephone and in person by GU-Q Faculty, Staff and Students
- Identify procedures and processes for automation in current workflows; design and develop software solutions to solve those problems
- Provide support for network systems, including daytime and off-hours coverage
- Coordinate the selection, installation, implementation, testing and administration of information assurance tools that protect and monitor the integrity of data, application programs, computer operating system and communications networks
- Prioritise and direct development and support of data application systems.
- Support a variety of applications and processes that depend on the UNIX and LINUX servers
- Participate in the configurations of Firewalls and VPN systems
- Maintain awareness of evolving information technologies
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or Engineering
- 5 years experience in a large, complex network environment as well as experience working with Unix systems such as Solaris, Red Hat Linux
- Hands-on experience with specific technologies used in network administration and programming for provisioning, configuration, and maintenance of network components through the use of APIs
- Knowledge of C, C++, SQL, MySQL, PHP, Java
- Experience with scripting languages (Python, Ruby), understanding of web development, ability to use REST API's
Solid understanding of TCP/IP protocol suite
- Experience with web servers and applications
- Knowledge of applications and software development
Knowledge of bug tracking, wiki software
Professional certification desirable: C/C++, Puppet
Prior experience in higher education is a plus
Current Georgetown Employees:
If you currently work at Georgetown University, please exit this website and login to GMS (gms.georgetown.edu) using your Net ID and password. Then select the Career worklet on your GMS Home dashboard to view Jobs at Georgetown.
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any position at Georgetown University you must submit a cover letter and resume for each position of interest for which you believe you are qualified. These documents are not kept on file for future positions.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please click here for more information, or contact the Office of Institutional Diversity, Equity, and Affirmative Action (IDEAA) at 202-687-4798 or email@example.com.
Need some assistance with the application process? Please call 202-687-2500. For more information about the suite of benefits, professional development and community involvement opportunities that make up Georgetown's commitment to its employees, please visit the Georgetown Works website.
Georgetown University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer fully dedicated to achieving a diverse faculty and staff. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, and sexual orientation), disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.