Information Services Assistant (Library Information Assistant)
Provides information, instructional and reader's advisory services to customers. Assists customers with circulation services. Provides computer assistance and troubleshooting as needed. Communicates and interprets library policies and procedures to the public. Participates in marketing, maintenance and development of branch collection. Schedules room and program reservations for public and library events. Performs opening and closing procedures. May provide or host programs, tours or outreach visits.
Schedule: This is a part-time position working 20 hours per week. Scheduling flexibility is imperative. The schedule includes evenings, Saturdays and Sundays as assigned. The schedule may vary depending on the needs of the library.
- Answers reference questions from customers through the use of standard reference books, documents, and electronic resources;
- Assists and instructs customers in the use of print and online reference materials;
- Advises and assists customers in the selection of books, periodicals, media, and other materials;
- Plans and provides programs and outreach to customers of all ages;
- Maintains collection by weeding, marketing, and merchandising library materials;
- Trouble-shoots library computers and reports unresolved problems through proper channels;
- Remains current in resources, services and technologies in the information field;
- Identifies materials to be considered for addition to the library collection.
- Ability to meet and provide information service to customers of all ages;
- Ability to work with other employees;
- Ability to learn new procedures and resources;
- Ability to communicate verbally in order to answer reference questions and provide reading guidance;
- Ability to understand and interpret policies;
- Ability to carry out objectives under supervision;
- Ability to promote interest in library services;
- Ability to plan and provide community-oriented library programs and outreach.
Any combination of education, experience, and training equivalent to the following: Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university plus two years of experience working in a library, bookstore, educational or research setting.
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES REQUIRED:
One or more years of experience working in a public library. Some demonstrated experience and proficiency with collection maintenance. Strong customer services skills. Proficient internet search skills. Demonstrated proficiency in using Microsoft Office Suite applications including Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint. Experience troubleshooting computer hardware.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
The appointee to this position will be required to complete a criminal background check and a check of the Child Protective Services Registry to the satisfaction of the employer.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:Ability to access, input and retrieve information from a computer; ability to stoop, bend, reach, and lift books weighing up to 10 pounds. Ability to perform repetitive hand, arm, wrist and shoulder movements. Ability to be physically active for three hours at a time. Ability to push and pull full 4-wheeled book carts and book bins. All duties performed with or without reasonable accommodations.
SELECTION PROCEDURE:Panel interview.
It is the policy of Fairfax County Government to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 711. EEO/AA/TTY.