Geographic Information Spatial Analyst II
1 day left
- Full Time
The Department of Public Works and Environmental Services (DPWES) is seeking a dynamic GIS professional to expand the spatial capabilities of the Stormwater Planning division through the collaborative integration of people, process, data, and technology to derive innovative solutions that meet strategic business goals. The ideal candidate should have a passion for GIS and spatially-enabling the organization; work comfortably with minimal direct supervision and lead matrixed, non-GIS professional teams through projects and tasks; excel at customer service performing complex spatial analysis, providing training on GIS software, and troubleshooting hardware and software issues. The candidate should have foundational ESRI desktop, server, and web GIS skills and understand how the ESRI technology ecosystem integrates with other enterprise systems and data. Position is designated as Emergency Service Personnel. Employee in this position must fulfill emergency service duties.Illustrative Duties
- Performs spatial analysis;
- Analyzes, enhances and maintains project specific GIS/Spatial applications;
- Contributes to development of application/data on usage standards;
- Meets with users to identify GIS requirements (application, business database, business process);
- Prepares necessary technical documents;
- Recommends or develops database enhancements for GIS data layers;
- Develops acceptance test for individual GIS hardware and software products;
- Develops and writes GIS training materials;
- Loads data into the GIS database using documented processes and tools;
- Creates or oversees database updates;
- Writes basic database queries;
- Provides technical support for complex hardware/application problems;
- Analyzes, develops, enhances, and maintains GIS software;
- Codes, tests, debugs, and documents basic GIS applications;
- Prepares data, system, or process flow charts;
- Prepares user documentation and trains users on the use of customized applications;
- Designs and manages application implementation plans;
- Serves as liaison between users and vendor technical support staff on complex GIS issues;
- Attends meetings and conferences related to GIS;
- Performs any of the illustrative duties in support of the Emergency Operations Center (EOC).
- Knowledge of principles, practices, and methods related to GIS;
- Knowledge of functional and technical requirements for GIS hardware and software;
- Knowledge of GIS applications such as County Standard GIS software, Microsoft Office Suite, etc.;
- Knowledge of languages such as Visual Basic, .Net, and C++;
- Knowledge of and experience with techniques for spatial analysis, geo coding, etc.;
- Knowledge of GIS spatial application development techniques;
- Ability to analyze user needs, processes and procedures for GIS applications;
- Ability to document system modifications and enhancements;
- Ability to assist users in solving systems and programming problems;
- Ability to translate technical terminology into terms understandable to management and employees;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective business relationships.
Any combination of education, experience and training equivalent to a bachelor's degree in computer science, geography or related field; plus one year of experience working with and developing systems utilizing GIS platforms such as ESRI's ArcGIS Desktop or Server software suites; or performing GIS modeling (e.g., feature classes), and spatial analysis (e.g., such as proximity analysis, image analysis, routing analysis).
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
- The appointee to this position will be required to complete a criminal background check to the satisfaction of the employer.
- This position is considered emergency service personnel and may be required to respond during inclement weather or emergency situations.
- Four or more years of GIS project experience, including experience in performing versioned GIS data editing, terrain and image analysis, and creating cartographic deliverables;
- Bachelor's degree in GIS, Geography, Engineering, Land Surveying, Computer Science, or related field
- Knowledge of the Stormwater business drivers and willingness to expand domain knowledge while working directly with subject matter experts (SME);
- Experience collecting and analyzing user requirements, communicating change, and providing excellent customer service;
- Experience with ESRI ArcGIS Desktop 10.x (e.g., ArcMap, ArcGIS Pro), its extensions (e.g., Network Analyst, Spatial Analyst, 3D Analyst), ESRI geodatabases (e.g., file, enterprise), and workflow automation techniques (e.g., Python scripting, ModelBuilder, SQL);
- Knowledge of ESRI ArcGIS Enterprise 10.x (e.g., Portal for ArcGIS, Server, Data Store); configuring web GIS applications in ArcGIS Online and / or Portal for ArcGIS (e.g., Collector for ArcGIS, Survey123, Workforce).
Have good hearing and speech abilities. Able to lift 50 pounds and push, pull, bend, lift, stoop, walk and climb. Duties are generally sedentary and are performed in an office environment. Manual dexterity to operate office equipment. All duties performed with or without reasonable accommodations.
It is the policy of Fairfax County Government to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 711. EEO/AA/TTY.