Commodities Brokerage Entry Level
Energy Commodities Broker - Entry Level
We are seeking a candidate that is willing to get in on the ground floor and learn our commodities brokerage business by assisting with trade execution, processing account opening paperwork, reviewing daily trade activity, monitoring accounts payable and cash reconciliation. From this position, candidates can progress to become a commodities broker responsible for sales calls, client advice, order execution, and account management; or an operations manager responsible for more of the operational and administrative aspects of the business. This position requires a high-energy highly motivated person. Interpersonal skills are central to the task.
Areas of Responsibility
A successful Energy Commodities Broker will:
- communicate with clients and prospects and may expect to spend a good deal of time on the telephone
- assist with and track account opening and set up
- maintain client lists
- assist in reviewing, reconciling, and reporting daily trade activity
- maintain records of account forms, trades, and marketing materials
- participate in order generation and execution
- monitor and maintain accounts payable and other bookkeeping tasks
Powerhouse is a full-service commodities brokerage providing risk management services to energy companies. These services include supporting client needs for protection from price uncertainty, developing and executing hedge structures, and providing accounting software support for risk management activities.
Powerhouse relies on orderly and well monitored operations. This employee’s contribution to operations will be identifiable. The successful entry-level candidate will be evaluated using the following criteria:
- Passing the Series 3 Exam
- Attention to details and accuracy
- Ability to engage with prospects and current customers over the phone and in person
- Focus on efficiency.Consistency of operations and records management are a priority
- Willingness to undertake and success with other tasks assigned
Powerhouse is a collaborative enterprise; the efforts of all employees are known and appreciated by all of us.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Education
The employee will possess a college degree. Although not mandatory, specialization in economics, finance, mathematics or business subjects is highly desirable.
The employee will hold the Series 3, General Commodities License or will obtain certification within three months of employment. (Powerhouse will bear the costs of training and licensure.) This exam is administered by the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) (previously the National Association of Securities Dealers (NASD)). The National Futures Association (NFA) requires an individual to successfully complete the Series 3 in order to become permitted to sell commodities or futures contracts.
Demands of the Job
Futures brokers have a unique opportunity to bring some degree of planning and control to clients. A broker must be able to react to events that are outside of his/her control that nonetheless impact clients’ businesses. A broker must also be able to work with clients who have changing business objectives. To successfully work in this environment, a candidate will possess
- An attention to detail
- Ability to focus in unpredictable environments
- Capacity to drive on-going and complex work tasks to completion
- Comfort on the phone with clients AND prospects
- Curiosity about movements in commodities and financial markets
- Ability to work closely with team members
The employee will be paid a regular salary and may expect a bonus depending on the performance of the enterprise and their own effort. The Company offers health insurance and participates in paying for it.
Powerhouse is a welcoming and supportive employer. Its principals have been with the group for many years.
This position description offers only the most general description of the job. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of qualifications, skills, efforts, duties, responsibilities or working conditions associated with the position.
3214 O Street, NW #2, Washington, DC 20007