Accountant I, Third Party
Accountant I, Third Party
Office of Student Accounts
Regular, Exempt, Full Time, Pay Grade 1.2
University of Maryland University College (UMUC) seeks an entry level Accountant. Under the supervision of the Assistant Director, the Accountant will perform complex clerical activities essential to accounting such as ensuring proper posting of student transfer funds, student refund reversals, Third Party and student credit card refunds, clean-up the unapplied student payments report, handling all Salesforce Q - Accounting, auditing student manual credit card refunds, and performing other job-related duties as assigned. The Accountant ensures that transactions are in accordance with UMUC, State, Federal policies and procedures are recorded consistent with acceptable accounting standard.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Review individual the Student Account Detail; identify the payments that generate the Deferred to Payment Plan contracts in to the unapplied payment status on a weekly basis.
- Reverse the student payments and re-post the payments back to appropriate term for swap payments.
- Process refund reversals for change refund format for Direct Deposit/balance due from the Communications Outreach, and the returned Direct Deposit refunds receipt from Finance - Accounts Payable on a daily basis.
- DVTR/GAE tuition adjustment posting, reviewing the registration details by term, Academic for the military residency status, looking up for the tuition adjustment item types for each divisions, determine the appropriate item types to use based on the classes, processing the manual post tuition adjustments within 1-2 business days.
- Audit daily student credit card refund by merchant totals and individual manual credit card refund postings once a month.
- Keep track of all refund adjustment backup for the refund reconciling accounts, and compile spreadsheet of data for auditing purposes.
- Provide account analysis and overview of various procedures and programs for student payments, tuition waiver, student refunds, and Financial Aid funds.
- Provide world-class customer service via the telephone, emails and ticketing system to students, agencies, and internal staff; responding to all internal and external inquiries within one business day; and troubleshooting issues accurately and appropriately.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited institution of higher learning, and two (2) years of related experience.
- Knowledge of best practices, principles, theories, techniques, and methodology in the field as well as all relevant federal, state, and local rules, regulations, and programs/policies for meeting compliance.
- Ability to participate in the development of policies and procedures for the unit, to clearly communicate results of work both orally and in writing to clients and management.
- Cooperate and work with others in order to strengthen and cultivate relationships, to carry out multiple assignments and plan accordingly in order to meet scheduled deadlines, to effectively implement analytical and organizational skills in order to carry out and follow through with.
POSITION AVAILABLE IMMEDIATELY & WILL REMAIN OPEN UNTIL FILLED
SALARY COMMENSURATE WITH EXPERIENCE
All submissions should include a cover letter and résumé. UMUC offers competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits for qualifying positions, such as tuition remission, generous leave and healthcare. For detailed benefits information, please visit: https://careers.umuc.edu/benefits.html.The University of Maryland University College (UMUC) is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination. UMUC is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, ancestry, political affiliation or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.If you are an external candidate, you will have the option to create an account after you submit your application. Passwords for external accounts must contain 8 characters including 1 uppercase letter, 1 number, and 1 special character. Please remember this password, as it will be required to apply to additional jobs.