CONSTRUCTION MANAGEMENT SPECIALIST
Job Type: Full-Time Location: Water/Sewer/Streets Division - 4200 S. 28th Street, Arlington, Virginia The Department of Environmental Services is seeking a Construction Management Specialists to join the Maintenance Contract section of their Water/Sewer/Streets Bureau. This employees will be responsible for managing multiple maintenance projects by administering contracts and conducting field inspections related to the maintenance of street, sanitary/storm sewer and/or water systems.
Specific duties include:
- Recommending and implementing a concrete maintenance program (pre-paving high-density pedestrian concrete maintenance) and communicating with citizen groups and affected property owners;
- Ensuring that contracts progress on time and within established budget;
- Monitoring the quality of the contractor's work to ensure compliance with contract documents;
- Computing and recording material quantities and providing estimates for County contracts;
- Preparing and maintaining progress reports, files and "as built" plans on all contract work;
- Managing contract completion and close out and authorizing timely payments to contractor(s);
- Overseeing snow removal contractors during winter; and
- Providing technical information on concrete maintenance to staff.
Selection Criteria: Minimum: Graduation from high school, technical school and/or a college program/courses in a related area, such as Engineering, Architecture or Construction Management plus considerable experience in construction and/or maintenance methods for water, sewer, or street systems.
Substitution: Additional qualifying experience can be substituted for the education requirement on a year for year basis.
Desirable: Preference may be given to candidates with one or more of the following:
- Associate's or Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Architecture, Construction Management or a related area;
- Experience writing/negotiating/interpreting contracts and/or funding program allocations;
- Experience or training interpreting road construction plans, bridge construction plans, utility construction plans or other construction plans in a related area;
- Experience with concrete maintenance methodology;
- Experience using MS Word and MS Excel; and/or
- VDOT certification in asphalt, concrete, aggregate, erosion and sediment control.
The applicant must possess, or obtain by the time of appointment, a valid motor vehicle operator's license from the applicant's place of residence or the applicant must have the ability and willingness to use alternative methods of transportation to perform assigned duties and responsibilities at locations other than the primary worksite. If the applicant possesses or acquires a license, the applicant must authorize Arlington County to obtain, or the applicant must provide a copy of the applicant's official state/district driving record. Any offer of employment may be contingent upon a favorable review of the applicant's driving record.
Additional Information: Work Hours: Monday through Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
This position is part of an alternative pay program that includes career path and pay-for-performance elements and an extended salary ceiling. Entry level within the band is based on a review of qualifications and experience. Pay potential will be based on performance and employee development.
Note: Salary listed above is for fiscal year 2019, effective July 1, 2018.
Please complete each section of the application. A resume may be attached, however, it will not substitute for the completed application. Your responses to the supplemental questionnaire are considered part of the selection process and are required for this position. Incomplete applications will not be considered.