Manager, Talent and Career Development
The Manager, Talent and Career Development is a member of the Talent Management & Board Development Team and plays a key role in ensuring the United Way Worldwide talent development programs are planned and delivered with the highest levels of quality. This position ensures the development and implementation of learning and development opportunities to support career development, engagement and professional growth of United Way employees worldwide. The role will support global organization and the HQ.
Incumbent is responsible for designing talent development opportunities to ensure there are targeted career development and learning paths for United Way employees, specifically to include career development (career pathing), mentoring, professional development (creative learning and skills development), employee engagement, succession planning, with proactive focus on marketing of programs.
This position is required to assist in determining work tactics, resource requirements, and project deliverables as assigned in the areas identified. Participates in the development of departmental action plans, work processes and systems. Delivering results and quality service and products to the Network is the utmost priority.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL DUTIES OF POSITION: An individual must be able to perform each essential duty listed below at, or above, a satisfactory level:
- Professional Development: Develop talent development and learning programs to build United Way’s talent, strengthen skills and competencies, and assist with driving the culture of high performance.
- Leverage competency models and various industry talent and learning tools (consultants, videos, E-learning, webinars, other) to deliver effective and engaging content. Identify speakers, facilitators, consultants to design and deliver workshops, webinars, other creative learning opportunities.
- Identify leadership capabilities needed both now an in the future, evolve, design and implement “United Way Career Path Model”. Manage all aspects of the professional development lifecycle, to include career aspiration assessment, skills needs assessments, development of new tools and programs and delivering innovative learning, measuring success.
- Enhance, design and deliver a portfolio of practical and effective development, retention and engagement learning opportunities, resources and tools to serve as the support system for effective career management and talent development.
- Partner across the network, departments and teams to think about new ways to define career development within United Way network, as essential for enhancing United Way Employer Brand.
- Collaborate with Manager of Leadership Development and Manager of HR & Talent Capacity to ensure full alignment and integration with overall team’s priorities and key stakeholders.
- Employee Engagement: Shape a robust employee engagement portfolio to enable skills and competencies development, create culture for employees to be motivated, engaged and committed.
- Design, implement, facilitate inspiring and innovative professional development and engagement experiences for our employees that are scalable across several geographies.
- Stay abreast of new trends and tools in employee development, continuously “bring the outside in” to help us stay at the leading edge of employee engagement and culture trends.
- Establish and manage talent management and development dashboard, track metrics to measure the efficiency and effectiveness of the programs.
- Mentoring: Responsible for managing and implementing mentoring program and intiatives for connecting and developing United Way talent across worldwide organization.
- Manage and maximize the efficiency of the mentoring program to create robust year-round learning and creative opportunities for mentors and mentees to connect, beyond online mentoring platform.
- Manage partnership with United Ways co-investing in “Harvard ManageMentor” program, deliver administrative support to administrators and learners, manage relationship with HBP and ensure ongoing communications, engagement and learning for administrators and learners.
- Enhance mentoring resources and proactively promote mentoring as one of the essential professional development tools.
- Establish metrics for measuring the effectiveness and success of the mentoring programs.
- Design mentoring programs for critical roles – e.g. focus on new CEOs and ensuring access to quality leadership level mentors to support onboarding.
- Succession Planning: Responsible for creating succession planning processes (internally within UWW) and collaborating with Manager of Leadership Development to support network’s pipeline of talent.
- In close collaboration with the Manager of Leadership Development Programs establish and embed the principles and approach to talent reviews, succession planning and workforce mobility.
- Develop deep understanding of key talent within the United Way Worldwide organization to create opportunities for high performing and high potential talent development and engagement.
- Drive and execute on succession planning within the organization, focusing on critical roles, high-performing staff, developing talent maps and driving follow up on development plans and actions.
- Event Management: Manage career development and talent engagement events:
- Project manage annual New Presidents Forum from venue and registration logistics, marketing and promotion to secure minimum attendance, through design of the content and learning experience, through quality execution and exceptional learning experience for participants.
- Manage the design and implementation of the “Career Corner” at the worldwide’s major Community Leaders Conference (occurs every other year)
- Assist Vice President with design and delivery of other talent management events and conferences, online webinars and other leadership recognition and learning opportunities.
- Marketing and Communications
- Responsible for creating marketing and promotional plans and materials to promote and adequately present professional development and employee engagement programs and learning opportunities.
- Ensure timely, proactive and ongoing communication and engagement with employees and various stakeholders throughout the year, ensure high visibility of talent work.
- Regularly updates United Way Online career development pages. Responsible for managing and coordinating all the logistics and technology for delivering webinars, online meetings, and conferences with program participants.
- Leverage social media technology as appropriate to engage talent; maintain social media groups such as Facebook, LinkedIn and others to secure ongoing relationship building and networking.
- Other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s Degree. At least five years of experience in an event planning, project management and coordination, logistics planning and managing, or similar role. Exceptional project management, written and verbal communications, relationship management, interpersonal and customer centric skills are required. Prior experience in managing talent management and leadership development programs is preferred.
Must be able to adjust schedule and/or work overtime for program in-person events (most events/travel are during business hours; however, there are many events that begin early morning and go through early evening).
Excellent verbal and written communication skills, ability to distil complex information into simple and user-friendly communication, message. Excellent project management skills. Excellent follow-up and follow-through skills, ability to effectively manage committees and deliver results with quality and on time. Advanced knowledge and use of online technology and programs (Facebook, LinkedIn, other). Ability to interact with all levels of staff. Requires technical/functional knowledge, skills and abilities (use of excel, Power Point is a must). Having worked in an international environment is very helpful. Ability to communicate verbally and in writing in English as well as another language(s) is desirable. United Way experience desirable but not required.
Experience in supporting and/or leading cross-functional and collaborative projects that engage people from around the world. Proven ability as an effective team member and collaborator (in-person and virtually).
ABOUT UNITED WAY WORLDWIDE:
United Way Worldwide seeks diverse, qualified professionals who want to make a difference in the world. If you are passionate about your work and desire to help others achieve enhanced education, income, and health, United Way Worldwide is the place for you.
United Way Worldwide is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, age, and other legally protected characteristics. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please e-mail email@example.com or call 703-836-7100, ext. 324 and provide the nature of your request and your contact information.
We are a charter member of Employers of National Service and encourage AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni to apply.
United Way Worldwide is located in Old Town Alexandria, VA. We offer competitive salary and excellent benefits including: health, dental, life, short-term and long-term disability, employee assistance program, 403(b) plan, tuition assistance, paid time off, family sick leave, medical appointment leave, free parking, onsite gym, monthly volunteering opportunities, and more.
Thank you for your interest in employment with United Way Worldwide. You will be contacted if your qualifications are a good match and you are selected for an interview.