Teacher Assistant, Head Start Program
6 days left
- Full Time
The Head Start Assistant Teacher assists the teacher by performing instructional duties, preparing classroom materials, supervising student behavior, learning and applying specific behavior management techniques, performing clerical duties, administering literacy assessments, and providing assistance with personal hygiene and physical care needs as required.
The work is performed under the guidance and supervision of the teacher.
* Provides individual and group instruction on activities as instructed; prepares lesson plans with the teacher.
* Prepares for and teaches the Second Step Curriculum (School Family Meetings) on a weekly basis to the class; presents language activities involving expressive and receptive areas of development.
* Prepares the classroom for meals and activities, assists students on and off the bus, prepares meal counts for the cafeteria staff, and performs clerical tasks, as assigned.
* Collects data and records anecdotal student observations; uses ChildPlus for record keeping and documentation for all information related to each student and family.
* In collaboration with Head Start Teacher, implements behavior modification plans in accordance with the Head Start program philosophy and monitors students' safety.
* Administers literacy assessments to students.
* Participates with teacher in home visits with Head Start families.
* A minimum of a High School Diploma and a CDA (Child Development Associate) credential
* Experience working with preschool age children
* Ability to learn to perform individual medical procedures when necessary.
* Experience in working with diverse cultures
* Bi-lingual preferred, but not required
* Demonstrates effective oral and written communication skills
* Demonstrates strong organizational skills
* Must be trustworthy and dependable
The Head Start Assistant Teacher is responsible to the Head Start Teacher and to the Head Start and STEP Program Supervisor.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit; use hands to finger, handle or feel objects or tools; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is regularly required to see, talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; and stoop, kneel, crouch or bend and may be required to lift up to approximately 25 pounds.