Claims Adjuster - Outside TA-15
- Graduation from high school or possession of a high school equivalency certificate (GED).
- A minimum of seven (7) years’ experience as a Claims Adjuster, personal or commercial liability claims handling.
- Associate in Claims (AIC), Casualty Claims Law Associates (CCLA),
Possession of a valid motor vehicle operator’s license issued from the jurisdiction of residence.
Ability to satisfactorily complete the medical examination for this job. The employee must be able to perform the essential functions of this job either with or without reasonable accommodation(s).
The Claims Adjuster is responsible for investigation, evaluation, negotiation, and disposition of Third Party claims filed against WMATA. This Adjuster handles claims with moderate degrees of complexity, and assists WMATA attorneys in defending claims in litigation. The Adjuster pursues subrogation claims against parties causing injury or damage to WMATA resources and utilizes settlement authority granted to promptly dispose of all assigned claims.
- Investigates, obtains, and reviews facts surrounding an accident, including: accident reports, police reports, witness interviews, scene investigations, diagrams, photographs, video records, medical bills/reports, vehicle damage estimates, recorded statements, and expert analysis when needed.
- Evaluates the extent, or percentage, of WMATA’s liability for damage and/or injury caused to third parties, along with the financial impact to be established and maintained until the claim is resolved.
- Evaluates the financial impact of each assigned claim and maintains appropriate reserves.
- Prepares disposition plans to facilitate proactive negotiations within 14 days of completed evaluations. Uses independent judgement with authority granted and promptly requests additional authority, dictated by the financial impact, from the Claims Examiner or TPL Manager as appropriate.
- Documents all completed and planned activities, to include diary dates for anticipated ending dates.
- Facilitates roundtable discussions to review unusual claims and identify settlement tactics.
- Prepares litigation referrals for the Office of General Counsel (COUN) and assists with trial preparation and testimony, as needed
- Pursues subrogation recoveries against responsible parties causing damage to WMATA assets.
- Participates in ongoing professional education opportunities, both formal and informal.
- Mentors less experienced co-workers and serves as acting Claims Examiner, as needed.
The essential duties listed are not intended to limit specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Nor is it intended to limit in any way the right of managers and supervisors to assign, direct and control the work of employees under their supervision.
Consideration will be given to applicants whose resumes demonstrate the required education and experience. Applicants should include all relevant education and work experience.
Evaluation criteria may include one or more of the following:
- Personal Interview
- Skills Assessments
- Verification of education and experience
- Criminal Background Check
- Credit history report for positions with fiduciary responsibilities
- Successful completion of a medical examination including a drug and alcohol screening
- Review of a current Motor Vehicle Report
Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority, a Federal contractor, is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, gender, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, physical or mental disability, or status as a protected veteran, or any other status protected by applicable federal law, except where a bona fide occupational qualification exists. Our hiring process is designed to be accessible and free from discrimination.
This posting is an announcement of a vacant position under recruitment. It is not intended to replace the official job description. Job Descriptions are available upon confirmation of an interview.