Chief Technology Officer
The American Nurses Association is seeking a talented and visionary Chief Technology Officer (CTO) to drive our technology operation and strategy. The CTO is a talented and visionary leader who will drive our technology operation and strategy. This role will report directly to the Chief Operating Officer and will oversee a team consisting of developers, engineers, architects, operations staff and agile coaches. The CTO leads the information technology functions of the enterprise including production operations, technology infrastructure, the help desk, software development, as well as project management, change management, risk management, information security and vendor management.
The CTO provides inspirational solutions to the enterprise, positively expanding the business impact of technology on the association and its constituents. The CTO interacts with the executive leadership and enterprise leaders to drive new business initiatives and support the strategic goals and objectives.
This position requires a combination of turnaround resourcefulness, top-flight technical expertise coupled with broad vendor management experience and information services background. The role focuses on product development technology strategy and implementation to move the association forward in skills, maturity and scale, to deliver on the mission and embrace our values.
The CTO will have demonstrated proven success in B2C/B2B and/or information services environment and will have strategic experience in leading and building effective development teams; creating delivering and measuring high-impact technology strategies, plans and programs; guiding technology strategy and directing technology infrastructure and development efforts.
The CTO should be comfortable in an open, collaborative environment and bring an energetic and creative approach to his/her work and is comfortable with in-the-trenches execution.
- Drives ANA’s technical vision and technology development with a service excellence perspective; ensures best architectural decisions are made across the enterprise; oversees all system design and changes in system architecture
- Serves as the lead technical voice of the business and meets with customers and partners to address and satisfy their needs
- Helps to effectively advance technology solutions and create the ANA technology strategy; identifies new areas of digital opportunities and creates plans and implements them.
- Positions technology to make ANA attractive in the marketplace both from a product (external) and talent acquisition (internal) perspective
- Seeks to understand members and customers so that technology and business lines are effectively aligned to deliver an excellent and scalable operating platform; develops deep and strong working relationships with both internal and external stakeholders
- Manages IT leaders, tracks performance, provides coaching, conducts evaluations, and partners with HR on employee related matters
- Works collaboratively with the Executive Leadership Team (ELT)
REPORTING RELATIONSHIPS AND SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES
- Reports to the Chief Operating Officer
- CTO direct reports include:
- Director of Cloud and IT Service Delivery
- Director of Enterprise Applications
- Director, Enterprise Project Management Office
JOB SCOPE RESPONSIBILITY (Management with this scope)
- Budget: > $9M
Master’s degree in a technology or related field, or Bachelor’s degree in a technology or related field plus
Related Work Experience
- 10 years overall information technology experience with at least 5 years each or more leadership experience in directly leading 3 or more of these key technology disciplines including Network Operations, Applications Development, Big Data, Project Management Innovation, Change Management, Risk Management, Information Security, Web Development and Cloud Computing.
- Experience in modernizing and integrating legacy systems
- Strong process improvement background and past success with turnaround situations
- Experience with and knowledge in organizational development philosophies and approaches related to building high functioning teams and organizations
- Experience in working with diverse mix of enterprise customers, including membership, products and services, and credentialing
- 5+ years demonstrated expertise in IT architecture and strategy
- 5+ years demonstrated expertise in achieving strategic business goals and objectives
- 3+ years demonstrated success collaborating with C-level peers across an organization
- Service industry experience in such areas as Association or Non-profit a plus but not required
- Proven track record of successfully leading and driving development, architecture, and infrastructure that provide best in class product offerings and support
- Hands-on Leader capable of operating at both strategic and tactical levels
- Strong leadership, influencing, negotiation and analytical skills
- Effective leader with demonstrated track record in building/transforming IT, creating technology strategy, IT vision/roadmap, showing appreciation for staff, holding staff accountable when appropriate, empowering team members when appropriate
- Track record of strong customer service environment
- Good business sense (e.g. financial management, vendor management, project valuation, budget development, outcomes/value)
- Experience interacting with clients or customers at the senior executive level
- Excellent leader and communicator, passionate about using technology as a key leverage point for the business
- Understands complex problems, researches and learns existing applicable software, and leads teams that deliver solutions in a timely fashion.
- Aspirational leader who can earn the respect of and inspire subordinates and encourage team efforts