The Associate Editor oversees quality control and timelines for NACUBO’s monthly magazine, manages the production process with the graphic designer, and serves as the liaison to the printer. In doing so, the Associate Editor ensures that the publication adheres to deadlines, with content produced in accordance with strict editorial standards and style rules. The Associate Editor assigns or develops features and departments, and copyedits manuscripts. In addition, the Associate Editor formats magazine content for the website. The incumbent reports to the Editor in Chief.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• For NACUBO’s monthly magazine, develops and implements operational processes, quality-control measures, and production timelines. Also serves as staff liaison with the magazine printer and handles mailing/postage.
• Coordinates the trafficking of manuscripts between editing and production/design, evaluating and revising draft layouts from the freelance designer, and proofreading pages as needed.
• Ensures that the feature well is full for each issue. Maintains monthly magazine editorial calendar; manages calendar and article tracking for the July-August double issue. Initiates monthly head-and-deck review and assists with art selection for feature layouts.
• Assigns or develops features and departments, working with staff and member content contributors. Performs substantive editing, copyedits manuscripts, and routes manuscripts for review. Works in accordance with established magazine processes and procedures, high quality standards, strict style rules, and deadlines.
• Formats and posts online magazine content and manages changes needed to online magazine pages.
• Monitors feedback on the online publication of Business Officer through Web usage analysis.
• Corresponds with and handles requests from members, staff, freelancers, and vendors.
• Performs administrative functions for the magazine, including responding to phone calls and e-mail, scheduling meetings and coordinating logistics, coordinating mailings and deliveries, maintaining the magazine inventory and coordinating internal distribution, keying in edits, maintaining files, processing and tracking copyright forms, and maintaining the magazine style guide.
• Attends NACUBO events to stay on top of higher education issues and develop relationships with members.
• Performs other duties as assigned.