Supervisory Health Economist
25% or less - Expected travel up to 25% may be required.
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
A. You must have a degree in economics that included at least 21 semester hours in economics and three (3) semester hours in statistics, accounting, or calculus.
B. Have a combination of education and experience with courses equivalent to a major in economics, as shown in "A" above, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
In addition to the basic requirements above, in order to qualify for this GS-14 Supervisory Economist position, your resume/CV must demonstrate that you have one full year of specialized experience comparable in difficulty and responsibility to at least the GS-13 level in the federal service. Examples of qualifying experience include the following types of tasks performed on a regular and recurring basis:
- Providing results from data analyses to inform the development of policies affecting health workforce or public health programs;
- Using a range of economic and other social science study design approaches; and
- Developing various types of written communications (i.e., reports, presentations, manuscripts, publications, etc.) to relay information reference research projects.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service Programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; community; student; social). If such experience is on a part-time basis, you must provide the average number of hours worked per week as well as the beginning and ending dates of the experience so it can be fully credited.
This position has an education requirement. You must submit a copy of your transcripts (or a list of your courses including titles, credit hours completed and grades) to document that you have met the education requirement. Unofficial transcripts will be accepted in the application package. Official transcripts will be required prior to your starting work.
Foreign Education: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov.
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
HHS is an equal opportunity employer. Selection for this position will be based solely on merit without regard to race, color, religion, age, gender, national origin, political affiliation, disability, sexual orientation, marital or family status or other differences.
Click here for information on "Federal hiring for individuals with disabilities".
Conditions of Employment:
- Security and Background Requirements: If not previously completed, a background security investigation will be required for all appointees. Appointment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication. False representation may be grounds for non-consideration, non-selection and/or appropriate disciplinary action.
- E-Verify: HRSA participates in the USCIS Electronic Employment Eligibility Verification Program (E-Verify). E-Verify helps employers determine employment eligibility of new hires and the validity of their social security numbers.
- Direct Deposit: All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choosing.
- Creditable Service: A newly appointed or reappointed employee may receive service credit for annual leave for prior work experience directly related to the duties of the position being filled. The use of this service credit is at the discretion of the selecting official and must be finalized prior to selectee's entrance on duty. For more information, please click here.
- Financial Disclosure: This position requires you to file a public or confidential financial disclosure report prior to receiving a final offer letter as well as within 30 days of your appointment. This will require you to report information such as recent sources of income, financial interests you hold, and outside activities you participate in, as well as similar information from a spouse or any dependent children. If you have questions, please contact your HRSA Ethics Advisor at AskHR@hrsa.gov.
**Applicants please note: Additional selections may be made across the Department of Health and Human Services through this vacancy announcement.** Read more
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the application process is complete, a review of the resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine if you are qualified for this job. If, after reviewing your resume and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and/or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your eligibility. Category rating procedures will be used to rate and rank candidates. The category assignment is a measure of the degree in which your background matches the competencies required for this position. Qualified candidates will be ranked into one of three categories: Best Qualified, Well Qualified or Qualified.
The Category Rating Process does not add veterans' preference points but protects the rights of veterans by placing them ahead of non-preference eligibles within each category. Preference eligibles who meet the minimum qualification requirements and who have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10 percent must be listed in the highest quality category (except in the case of scientific or professional positions at the GS-9 level or higher).
Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP)/ Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP): Must be found to be well-qualified to exercise selection priority for this vacancy, displaced Federal employees must be rated at 85.0 or above on the rating criteria for this position. Click here for more information on ICTAP/CTAP.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics):
- COLLABORATION - Works cooperatively with others, inside and outside the organization, to accomplish objectives to build and maintain mutually beneficial partnerships, leverage information, and achieve results.
- COMMUNICATIONS - Delivers clear, effective communication and takes responsibility for understanding others.
- ECONOMICS - Applying knowledge of economic policy, principles, and practices, market and non-market values, and the analysis and reporting of economic data.
- LEADERSHIP - Inspires, motivates & guides others toward goal accomplishment; coaches & mentors subordinates; adapts leadership styles to a variety of situations; models high standards of honesty, integrity, trust, openness, & respect for individuals by applying these values to daily behaviors.
- RESEARCH AND EVALUATION - Knowledge of the principles, methods, and processes used to conduct a systematic and objective inquiry; including study design, collection, analysis, and interpretation of data; and the reporting of results.
TO PREVIEW THE OCCUPATIONAL ASSESSMENT QUESTIONNAIRE, please click on the following link: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10206657 Read more Security clearance Public Trust - Background Investigation