Park Recreational Specialist II
Coordinates and schedules up to 859 ball fields, 249 gymnasiums and Neighborhood and Community Services facilities, using a scheduling database system. Coordinates scheduling with public school, Park Authority representatives and other county agencies. Works with sports leagues, community and government officials to resolve conflicts and problems. Provides administrative support to Athletic and Sports Councils. Strategically links community-based sports organizations with Neighborhood and Community Services resources to address identified customer needs. Projects future athletic services and community use needs and develops related strategies. Maintains statistical data and analyzes customer-provided outcome information. Evaluates and makes recommendations for service delivery. Develops and implements automation solutions for the scheduling system. Processes payments and reimbursements. Manages maintenance improvements. Analyzes and evaluates equity issues related to field usage. Hires, trains and supervises athletic facility monitors. Maintains database of monitor reports. Conducts sports camps and clinics.
Note: Regular work hours are 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Work hours may vary due to scheduling of special events and may include evenings and weekends.
- Conducts program and service delivery evaluations using a variety of tools;
- Identifies deficiencies and recommends alternative strategies as needed and incorporates viable suggestions into programming;
- Develops and maintains community and corporate partnerships;
- Develops and implements community outreach plans to target underserved populations;
- Monitors revenues and expenses and reconciles revenue/expense reports;
- Adheres to revenue and expense limits and to departmental goals and objectives;
- Evaluates data from daily operations and compiles administrative reports documenting attendance and service delivery for use in developing future programming;
- Ensures that agency programs, facilities, and personnel meet all standards for certifications and licenses related to the area of assignments;
- Authorizes the purchase of supplies and equipment;
- Enforces operating policies and procedures, evaluates their effectiveness and recommends changes;
- Coordinates efforts to optimize revenue production and/or customer satisfaction;
- Recruits, trains, supervises, and schedules volunteers and subordinate staff to assist in various aspects of programming including mentoring, instruction, and program aides;
- Develops and disseminates material to publicize and market activities at the assigned location.
- Schedules, plans, organizes, supervises, and evaluates a diverse selection of leisure activities;
- Plans and evaluates unique programs;
- Coordinates with health, social services, legal, financial, housing professionals and other local organizations to arrange and conduct special programs.
- Knowledge of fiscal record keeping and inventory procedures;
- Knowledge of group work methods and activity facilitation;
- Ability to motivate and supervise staff and volunteers;
- Ability to prepare clear, concise financial and administrative reports;
- Ability to plan, develop and administer recreation programs or community activities;
- Ability to use a personal computer, applicable software and peripheral equipment;
- Ability to develop and implement sound management practices;
- Ability to conduct training programs;
- Ability to maintain effective relationships with staff, citizen groups, and the public;
- Ability to work independently using sound judgment in the execution of the position's duties;
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
Any combination of education, experience, and training equivalent to graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a bachelor's degree in recreation and park management, therapeutic recreation, or other closely related field; plus two years of progressively responsible experience in park or recreation services related work, as applicable to the position.
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES REQUIRED:
Valid motor vehicle driver's license.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
The appointee to this position will be required to complete a criminal background check, a check of the Child Protective Services Registry, and a driving record check to the satisfaction of the employer.
- Bachelor's degree in Sports Management or Recreation or related field.
- Experience performing sports programming and administration;
- Experience resolving/negotiating scheduling conflicts with multiple athletic organizations/councils;
- Experience supervising several part-time employees;
- Experience providing support to athletic organizations/councils;
- Experience working with athletic facility scheduling software programs;
- Experience interpreting and implementing policies and procedures;
- Experience assessing and addressing community needs and areas for improvement;
- Experience with fee collection and processing;
- Experience analyzing statistics;
- Experience using PC's and database software;
- Experience communicating effectively with staff and community groups;
- Experience providing presentations;
- Experience providing written response to inquiries and complaints;
- Experience managing multiple tasks/projects;
- Experience facilitating meetings; and
- Experience organizing large events.
Ability to operate keyboard driven equipment and perform general office work but will also be required to work out in the field monitoring and/or supporting events. Duties can be performed with or without reasonable accommodations.
Panel interview; may include exercise.
It is the policy of Fairfax County Government to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 703-222-7314. EEO/AA/TTY.