Motor Equipment Operator
Reports to 1410 Hunter Mill Road Vienna, VA daily, and is dispatched to various Park Authority sites. Under general supervision, leads a three person maintenance crew in the performance of a broad range of semi-skilled maintenance and grounds keeping tasks. Directs the work of a variety of tasks associated with mowing and grounds/park maintenance. Duties will include completing minor repairs and maintenance of park facilities, playground equipment, picnic areas, walkways, fencing, signs, and other amenities; and removal of leaves, seeding, placement of sod, and making other minor repairs to turf surfaces. Mows and maintains specifically assigned park open areas and athletic fields. Supervises, evaluates and ensures that staff has been trained in and follows safety requirements for equipment operation and maintenance procedures. Operates a tractor/bucket loader with attachments, mowers and other equipment. Uses gas power equipment. Inspects and drives a truck and trailer, and hauls equipment and materials. Informs supervisors of conditions requiring special attention. Maintains tools and equipment in good working order. Completes required documentation and daily work reports.Illustrative Duties
- Operates and may use specialized equipment on each;
- Operates road rollers to compact subgrades, sub-bases, shoulder materials, and embankment areas;
- Operates single-axle dump trucks and small trailers in the loading, unloading, and transportation of small motor equipment;
- Operates various small equipment such as tampers, chain saws, concrete saws, etc.;
- Drives a truck, overseeing crew members, checking truck for proper operating condition, and making minor repairs;
- Performs maintenance on medium/small equipment and vehicles (such as checking and adding fuel, water, oil and air; checking the brakes and cleaning vehicles);
- May perform a variety of laborer tasks, such as digging, loading, snow shoveling, grass cutting, brush removal, asphalt leveling and raking, lifting, pushing, and other physical work;
- Ensures that appropriate safety procedures are followed when working near equipment;
- Reads and interprets engineering plans for utility location prior to excavation;
- May lead a small crew of laborers;
- Effectively communicates with employees, supervisors and customers;
- Engages in safe working practices and complies with safety programs and guidelines;
- Reports unsafe working conditions;
- Complies with safety competencies.
- Working knowledge of state traffic laws and regulations;
- Working knowledge of general maintenance of light motorized equipment;
- Working knowledge of computers;
- Skill in the operation of gasoline-powered construction, maintenance, or refuse collection equipment;
- Ability to perform light maintenance on this equipment;
- Ability to follow written and oral instructions;
- Ability to read and comprehend maps;
- Strength and dexterity necessary to perform all required tasks including lifting, stooping, bending, and working in tiring and uncomfortable positions;
- Ability to work outside with regular exposure to severe weather, noxious fumes, high levels of dust, etc.;
- Ability to maintain effective relationship with customers, employees and supervisors;
- Ability to comprehend and comply to safety practices;
- Ability to lead the work of others.
Any combination of education, experience, and training equivalent to completion of the tenth grade; and two years of experience in the operation of medium/light motorized equipment.
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES REQUIRED:
- A valid driver's license.
- Class "A" Commercial Driver's License.
- Appointee will be required to complete a criminal background investigation, a driving record check, a commercial driver license screening and a pre-employment physical to the satisfaction of the employer.
- Position will require overtime due to emergencies.
- 2-3 years of maintenance, construction or related experience;
- Experience with equipment such as: skid-steers with attachments, tractor with attachments, riding mowers;
- Small equipment experience with chainsaws, weed-trimmers, edgers, blowers, walk-behind mowers;
- 3 or more years of experience with the repair and maintenance of outdoor maintenance equipment such as mowers, tractors and landscape equipment;
- 2 years of supervisory experience.
Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds regularly, and work outdoors in variable weather conditions performing physical labor; ability to bend, twist, turn, stand, and stoop; ability to work overtime when necessary; work in adverse weather conditions; ability to operate equipment and motor vehicle. Duties can be performed with or without reasonable accommodations.
Panel interview; may include exercise.
It is the policy of Fairfax County Government to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 703-222-7314. EEO/AA/TTY.