Director of Coalition Homes
The Director of Coalition Homes is an experienced real estate professional with a graduate degree or minimum 10-years’experience in multifamily real estate with a focus on affordable housing development and property management. The Director will supervise a staff of five and be responsible for an annual budget in excess of $1.2M and an asset management portfolio of approximately $1.4M.
The focus of this position is to expand and manage the supply of permanent supportive housing and provide trauma-informed property management services. Coalition Homes currently owns and manages a portfolio of approximately 140 units which include moderately priced dwelling units and HUD 811 properties.Coalition Homes, Inc. (https://mcch.net/affordable-housing) is the nonprofit housing development affiliate of the Montgomery County Coalition for the Homeless, Inc. (MCCH) and creates permanent supportive housing for formerly homeless individuals and families. CH acquires, develops and manages permanent supportive housing to meet the needs of the most vulnerable populations with disabilities. In this capacity, Coalition Homes plays a crucial role to end homelessness consistent with MCCH's mission of making homelessness rare, brief and non-recurring in Montgomery County, Maryland.
The mission of Coalition Homes is to help eradicate homelessness in Montgomery County by creating, owning and operating permanent housing solutions.
The organizational values of Coalition Homes and MCCH are:
• Housing is a human right
• Ensure homelessness is rare, brief and non-recurring
• Everyone has a safe, stable, and affordable place to call home
Duties and Responsibilities:
The candidate must have 10-years’ direct experience of real estate development and residential property management; and must possess strong financial management, auditing, and compliance experience.
Asset and Financial Management:
- Prepares CH annual budgets and monthly budget variance reports for MCCH review
- Assumes responsibility for asset management to include maintaining the CH loan portfolio and being a liaison to the MC Department of Housing and Community Affairs
- Adheres to compliance and auditing reporting requirements, and works with external auditors on annual budgets and tax returns
- Maintain oversight of CH financials to include operating capital, loans and subsidy funding.
- Direct and coordinate CH’s financial and budget activities to fund operations, maximize effectiveness, or increase efficiency. Analyze operations to evaluate the performance of CH and its staff in meeting objectives in order to determine areas of potential cost reduction, program improvement, or policy change.
- Continuously monitoring and controlling resources to include overseeing the spending of money. Working applicable knowledge of economic and accounting principles and practices, the financial markets, banking and the analysis and reporting of financial data.
Affordable Housing Development:
- Analyzes potential site acquisition and financing opportunities
- Prepares responses to requests for proposals and solicitations for financing
- Works with development team including preparation of development and operating budgets Identifies potential partnerships and opportunities to co-develop new projects
- Identifies, acquires and develops properties to meet the goal of 150 additional housing units in the pipeline by 2020
- Negotiate or approve contracts or agreements with suppliers, distributors, federal or state agencies, or other organizational entities
- Confer with board members, MCCH Executive Director, or staff members to discuss issues, coordinate activities, or resolve problems
- Presents at meetings with partners and stakeholders
- Manages tenant certifications and re-certifications required for rental assistance
- Assumes responsibility for annual HUD rent renewals and increases
- Maintains policies and procedures manual for facilities management
- Oversees routine property management services including unit inspections and preventative maintenance
- Collaborates with MCCH program staff to ensure tenant housing stability
- Bachelor’s degree required, MBA/MS, MURP or similar degree preferred
- Experience with financial reporting, and with compliance and accounting principals
- Experience with Yardi or similar property management software preferred
- Experience in residential property management including HUD Section 8 and HUD 811s
- Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources
- Familiarity with all aspects of real estate development process
- Supervisory experience
- Excellent oral and written communication skills including public speaking