Security Guard (Control Room Operator)
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
- Failure to complete all initial Control Room Operator training and certification requirements will result in the employee being returned to his/her former position.
- Must qualify annually at a minimum for the Control Room Operator re-certification test.
- Performs other security-related duties as assigned.
- May be required to work rotating shifts.
The work is generally sedentary, although there may be nominal walking or standing for short periods of time, or carrying of boxes of paper weighing up to 50 pounds, and /or tapes and disks. Requires ability to distinguish colors on a computer screen; eyesight correctable to 20/40; ability to clearly distinguish CCTV images at a nominal distance; and adequate hearing to be able to acknowledge the full range of audible alarm sounders used in the control rooms and to monitor radio transmissions.
Qualification requirements must be met within 30 days of the job opportunity announcement closing date.
For information on qualification requirements, see Qualification Standards Handbook for General Schedule Positions viewable on the web at http://www.opm.gov/qualifications.
Experience: You qualify for this position if you possess one year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-5 level in the Federal Service or comparable pay band system. For this position Specialized experience is defined as monitoring and/or reviewing security management systems such as access control, CCTV, mass notification, fire, and life safety.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Part-time and/or unpaid experience related to this position will be considered to determine the total number of years and months of experience. Be sure to note the number of paid or unpaid hours worked each week.
Flexible Spending Accounts - http://www.fsafeds.com/fsafeds/index.asp
Health Insurance - http://www.opm.gov/insure/health/index.asp
Leave - http://www.opm.gov/oca/leave/index.asp
Life Insurance - http://www.opm.gov/insure/life/index.asp
Long Term Care Insurance - http://www.ltcfeds.com
Retirement Program - http://www.opm.gov/retire/index.asp
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your application will be evaluated first for the basic qualifications described above. The applications that meet the basic qualifications will be evaluated further against the following criteria:
- Knowledge of computer equipment, peripherals, operating systems and software applications to include security monitoring and communications equipment and the relationship between these components.
- Ability to operate a wide variety of security, access control, CCTV, radio communications, fire and safety systems.
- Knowledge of established security rules, regulations, procedures and methods of operating central electronic security systems necessary to take timely action for a full range of security incidents and monitoring activities.
- Knowledge of specialized entry and access requirements, methods, and procedures, used to safeguard national treasures, works of art, literary collections, and historical artifacts in large government facilities.
Veterans Employment Opportunities Act (VEOA): If you are applying for a VEOA appointment, you must be a veteran and must be honorably separated and either a preference eligible or have substantially completed 3 or more years of active service. ("Active Service" under this law means active duty in a uniformed service and includes full-time training duty, annual training duty, full-time National Guard duty, and attendance, while in the active service, at a school designated as a service school by law or by the Secretary concerned.) A veteran who is released under honorable conditions shortly before completing a 3-year tour is also eligible.
Noncompetitive Appointment Authorities: The following links contain information on the eligibility requirements to be considered under a noncompetitive appointing authority:
- Primary Appointing Authorities for Career and Career-Conditional Appointments
- Hiring Authorities for Veterans
- People with Disabilities
To preview questions please click here. Read more Security clearance Public Trust - Background Investigation