Public Relations Director
American Bird Conservancy
Director of Public Relations
Title: Director of Public Relations
Supervisor: Vice President of Communications
Location: Washington, DC
Application Submission deadline: May 31, 2018
American Bird Conservancy (ABC) is dedicated to conserving birds and their habitats throughout the Americas. We are best known for our focus on bird conservation results, including conserving more than 1 million acres of bird habitat across more than a dozen countries and targeting the largest human-caused sources of bird mortality. Our staff are based across the United States; this position is based in the Washington, DC office.
The Director of Public Relations is a key position on ABC’s Communications team, contributing to the team’s efforts to raise the organization’s visibility and inspire bird conservation action among target audiences. The Director of Public Relations will develop and execute a comprehensive media communications strategy that delivers results across diverse media platforms, from traditional news media to social media.
- Serve as spokesperson for the organization.
- Develop comprehensive media outreach strategy to build awareness and support for ABC.
- Cultivate relationships with key writers, reporters, thought leaders, and strategic partner organizations to advance press and social media outreach.
- Craft content to successfully pitch ABC’s work to the news media, including press releases, press packets, op-eds, media advisories, and press conferences.
- Proactively work with ABC’s conservation programs to identify news opportunities.
- Lead ABC’s social media efforts: develop cutting-edge campaign strategies, increase our following on existing platforms, write and post content, and identify new platforms and opportunities. Stay up-to-date on the latest social media trends.
- Track conservation news and identify opportunities to leverage aspects of ABC’s work via earned or social media.
- Respond to media requests for information and comment.
- Build and maintain database of ABC media contacts.
- Create and maintain archive of major press coverage on ABC’s website; generate reports as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Undergraduate degree in the biological sciences, English, or journalism, plus a Master’s Degree in communications/journalism or at least eight years of relevant communications or journalism experience.
- Knowledge of birds and passion for bird conservation.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills, with meticulous attention to detail and accuracy.
- Proven ability to think strategically, stay organized, and prioritize multiple tasks.
- Demonstrated success in developing relationships with reporters, writers, and producers across print, digital, and broadcast media platforms.
- Expertise using social media in an organizational setting. Proven ability to strategically manage social media platforms.
- Ability to synthesize complex scientific material into engaging content for lay audiences.
- Experience in crisis communications and ability to trouble-shoot and provide potential solutions quickly.
- Familiarity with Wordpress and Adobe Creative Cloud, specifically Photoshop, preferred.
- Experience with photography a plus.
- Ability to speak and write Spanish and/or Portuguese a plus.
Please apply online through BambooHR: https://abcbirds.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=23
If you have any difficulties with the website, please send your cover letter and resume as one document to HR@abcbirds.org