Senior Research Transportation Engineer
The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, a nonprofit organization conducting multidisciplinary research, seeks a Senior Research Transportation Engineer to join our research program in Arlington, VA. Our organization is at the forefront of efforts to find effective means of decreasing the incidence and severity of motor vehicle crashes. Research from IIHS is respected worldwide and is used to influence policy, practice, and vehicle and roadway design.
We’re looking for an engineer to lead research projects that involve collecting and analyzing field data to evaluate the safety of the roadway. Examples of previous IIHS studies include examinations of how vehicle speeds change after speed limits are raised, how crashes and violations change after the installation of speed and red light cameras, how roundabouts affect crashes and injuries, and how pavement markings affect conflicts between pedestrians and vehicles. You will work within a research team of other engineers, psychologists, and statisticians. See more about our research department here.
Compensation consists of a highly competitive salary and a 403(b) retirement plan with a nonelective annual contribution equal to 10% of your salary. Other benefits include health insurance (with dental and vision coverage), life insurance, medical and dependent care flex spending accounts, reasonable working hours, and 3 weeks of paid vacation in your first year.
- Design and conduct research addressing roadway safety
- Manage data collection and other research performed by outside contractors
- Collect and analyze data
- Evaluate research literature
- Publish research reports in peer-reviewed scientific journals
- Present research findings to technical and nontechnical audiences
- Represent IIHS at meetings of roadway safety professionals as an expert in the field
- Graduate degree in transportation engineering or civil engineering
- Strong research design and analysis skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to conceive, design, and carry out research projects with minimal supervision
- Interest in solving real-world problems in collaboration with professionals from other disciplines
- 5-10 years of experience in highway safety research