COMMUNICATIONS SPECIALIST (Part Time Position)
Last Updated: April 17, 2018
Purpose of this Ministry
In concert with the Pastor, staff, and other parish leaders, create, maintain and evaluate communications channels and tools that effectively share the prayers, news and works of the people of St. James and assist their efforts to develop their faith, cultivate rootedness in Jesus Christ and share the Gospel message through the encounters of their daily life.
Average Hours Devoted to this Ministry Each Week: 20
Pay Rate: DOE
Position Reports to: Business Manager
- Must be a creative and motivated self-starter.
- Must be organized, able to meet deadlines and capable of flexibility when required. Must be collaborative and capable of assisting ministries and fellow staff members with projects.
- Must have an understanding of principles of design and effective writing. Must be capable of using a variety of design and publication software programs, including Microsoft Publisher, Adobe Photoshop Elements, Adobe Premiere Elements and other programs or web-based resources. Must be familiar with professional level camera for photography and video.
- Must be available to work on-site, when needed, during normal business hours.
- Some college required; Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university preferred.
- One year of communications or general office experience and ongoing professional development desired.
- Bilingual in Spanish and English (writing and speaking) desirable but not required.
- Write and/or edit content as needed for all communication channels, including electronic newsletter articles and event announcements.
- Produce weekly bulletin and electronic newsletters and other promotional materials in collaboration with key staff and parishioners at a high level of professionalism.
- Maintain website and respond to change requests by staff or ministry leaders in a timely manner with a focus on the public parish calendar, the current events section, staff information and ministry pages.
- Create slides and playlists for our church digital displays.
- Produce and identify video content for parish website video player and YouTube channel.
- Deploy social media effectively, including Facebook, Twitter and email campaigns.
- Serve on team to proofread communications items before they are published.
- Create or update instructions for how to prepare bulletin, maintain website, and other communications tasks.