Manager, Fiscal Operations
Title: Manager, Fiscal Operations
Position Number: 103257
Category Status: 12-month Exempt Staff, Full-time Regular Position
Unit: AGNR-UME-Associate Director
Location: University of Maryland Extension, Symons Hall, College Park, MD
Purpose: The Manager for Fiscal Operations works to increase fiscal accountability and clarity within University of Maryland Extension (UME), and specifically provides fund account support and management to the senior leadership team of assistant directors. The position will provide direct support to and fiscal support of the Associate Dean/Associate Director and the Assistant Director of Operations. Major responsibilities are listed below with an emphasis on financial and operational support to units within UME as outlined below.
- Oversee UME financial accounts including state, federal capacity, revolving, and foundation accounts. Responsible for budget and account preparation, review, reconciliation, accountability and reporting.
- Provide fiscal and policy support to units’ business personnel within the University of Maryland Extension.
- Prepare budget presentations and projections for UME, working closely with the Associate Dean and Assistant Director of Operations paying close attention to personnel lines in accordance with the UME staffing plan.
- Formulate short and long term budget projections and hold quarterly budget meetings with the Associate Dean/Director and Assistant Director of Operations.
- Prepare and hold quarterly budget meetings with the Assistant Director of Operations, the Business Manager for Fiscal Field Operations and the Area Extension Directors.
- Advise the Associate Dean/Director and Assistant Director of Operations on strategic and operational planning, budgets, resource allocation, unit infrastructure needs, sources of revenue, administrative services, and College and University policies.
- Manage day to day finance and management requests from UME, working closely with the Assistant Director of Operations in relationship to state and county appropriated field offices. This includes travel, purchasing, procurement, invoice generation, payment deposits, and inventory management.
- Assist with federal compliance items under UME.
- Work with College fiscal office and unit staff, in development and training of standard operating procedures (SOPs) for annual budgeting of UME units and review throughout the year budgeted verses actual expenditures.
- Ensure compliance with UM policies covering Affiliated Foundations, Centers and Institutes.
- Implement process and procedures that track spending on all accounts within the University of Maryland Extension, specifically track spending on accounts for the senior leadership team.
- Responsible for annual budget preparation process in BPM for UME units.
- Provide assistance and support as needed to the Assistant Director of Operations and the Associate Dean/Associate Director.
- Master’s Degree in business administration, accounting, management, or other related disciplines.
- Five years of management experience in business administration, specifically, strong fiscal management.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong analytical ability, finance background and excellent interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrable experience with preparing detailed financial analysis and long-term budget projections.
- A strong working knowledge of accounting systems, financial policies and procedures.
- A demonstrated ability to navigate sensitive issues and work collaboratively towards successful outcomes.
- Experience with fiscal and operational management of an academic unit.
- Experience with University specific systems such as Kuali Financial Systems (KFS), BPM, ELF, eTerp, PHR, Kuali Research (KR), and WOW.
- Working knowledge of local, state, and federal agencies and groups involved in college related issues.
- Understanding of federal regulations regarding fiscal management of federal funds such as Uniform Guidance and Federal Acquisition Regulations.
Physical Demands of the Position:
- This position is an administrative position. Work is primarily performed in an office environment during the 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. time frame.
- This position will frequently exchange information through vocal and written communication, with individuals of various ages, socio-economic, and educational backgrounds. The ability to express or exchange ideas vocally is important, as well as the ability to hear and perceive information at normal spoken work levels.
- Visual acuity is required to review and/or analyze written reports, spreadsheets, data and figures for accuracy. This position will also research information and prepare written materials and presentations for annual reports, budget presentations. Extensive viewing of a computer screen is normal.
- Ability to lift and carry small parcels, packages, and other items (up to 20 lbs.) between offices as well as be able to manage conflict, processes, and work within deadlines.
Salary & Benefits: Salary commensurate with education and experience with a base salary of $60,023. The University of Maryland offers an extensive benefit package.
Application Process: All candidates must apply online at https://ejobs.umd.edu/postings/59685. A complete application packet includes a cover letter, resume, copies of transcripts, and three (3) professional references, including name, mailing address, telephone number, and e-mail address.
Closing Date: For best consideration, complete application by 06/01/2018. Position will remain open until suitable candidate has been identified.
The University of Maryland, College Park, actively subscribes to a policy of equal employment opportunity, and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant because of race, age, sex, color, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, religion, ancestry or national origin, marital status, genetic information, political affiliation, and gender identity or expression. Minorities and women are encouraged to apply.