American Bird Conservancy
Title: Membership Director
Supervisor: Vice President for Development
Location: The Plains, VA
Submission Deadline: April 6, 2018
This is a full-time position with American Bird Conservancy (ABC) in The Plains, Virginia. The Membership Director’s principal responsibilities are: 1) to help develop, implement, and improve membership acquisitions, renewals, and special appeals; 2) to ensure Gold Standard processing of donations and acknowledgment of donations; 3) to develop, update and manage annual membership budgets and analyses; and 4) to manage the membership database, ensure accuracy of data, run reports, and train staff.; 5) to manage all online fundraising, including email campaigns, social media solicitations, and webpage campaign and donation pages. The Membership Director supervises the Membership Coordinator, and works closely with all ABC development staff.
The Membership Director should be current with non-profit strategies for member recruitment and retention through direct mail and internet venues. The Membership Director should be an organized, creative, and energetic person who desires a career in conservation fundraising and data management. This position requires computer proficiency, excellent organizational and writing skills, and knowledge of ABC programs and structures. They are in regular contact, in person and by telephone and email correspondence, with ABC staff, members, and potential and existing donors. This work requires initiative, flexibility, accuracy, and attention to detail.
- Develop, implement and update ABC’s annual membership and internet fundraising plans and budgets in coordination with the Vice President of Development.
- Increase revenue generated by general membership by working with communications on online fundraising, encouraging renewal upgrades, maintaining a 75% or better membership renewal rate, and through special appeals.
- Supervise the Membership Coordinator by delivering high quality service to members and ensuring that all gift entry and acknowledging/receipting is completed accurately and quickly.
- Maintain and manage ABC’s development and communications/advocacy database.
- Work closely with major gifts staff to identify, target and upgrade members to higher giving levels.
- Help develop and produce special appeal mailings to ABC donors in coordination with Vice President for Development.
- Develop, update, and manage annual budgets for ABC’s membership program.
- Assist with other projects as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree and at least five years of experience in fundraising, membership, customer service or related work or combination of equivalent education and experience.
- Proven track record of achieving revenue targets; database management and analysis.
- Proficiency with Salsa, or other gift management programs, online fundraising, social media, and other related IT skills.
- Ability to work with outside vendors including mailing houses, suppliers, and premium vendors.
- Ability to work independently, efficiently, and accurately, in a deadline-oriented position.
- Ability to work with a wide range of people and maintain a sense of humor.
- Excellent communications (including writing and in-person) and organizational skills.
- Dedication to American Bird Conservancy’s conservation mission.