Area Extension Director
UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND
COLLEGE OF AGRICULTURE AND NATURAL RESOURCES UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND EXTENSION
Functional Title: Area Extension Director
Position Number: 103609
Category Status: Exempt Staff, Regular, Full-Time
Unit: Northern Maryland Cluster (Baltimore, Carroll, and Harford Counties)
Home Office Location: Negotiable choice between the Cluster Counties (Baltimore, Carroll, or Harford)
Position Summary/Purpose of Position: The Area Extension Director will administratively serve as the leader and coordinator of local education programs for the University of Maryland Extension. The Area Extension Director will provide overall supervision at the county offices by serving as liaison with county government; providing logistical coordination for local programming, management of all fiscal operations and leadership or public relations/marketing efforts. This individual will be the key communication link between the county government and the UME Administration. In carrying out these duties, the individual is responsible to the Assistant Director of Operations (ADO). This position has no program supervision responsibilities.
- Fiscal Management: With assistance from the College Administrative Services office and ADO, prepare annual budget request for submission to the county with a goal of increasing county funding; Submit copy of approved county appropriation (MES-8) to Regional Business Manager; Monitor monthly financial statement in relation to approved budget. Share budget information with county faculty and staff on a monthly basis; maintain quarterly EAC financial records at local office; Provide financial information as required to EAC; Facilitate EAC account reviews every other fiscal year; Monitor postage allocation and usage; Review state travel and paper allocations and expenditures; manage "for sale” publications and cost recovery programs for county offices; Identify grant proposal opportunities and external funding partnerships/collaborations that increase the financial support of UME; Provide leadership for county faculty and staff to write, submit, and manage grant funds. Manage sensitive equipment inventory to submit to East Region office annually.
- Personnel Management: Coordinate, plan and request county staffing needs through ADO Office; Work with ADO Office to manage employee contracts as necessary; Schedule and lead monthly faculty/staff meetings; assure an equitable and appropriate working environment; assure that policies of the University, UME and county are understood and followed; Review faculty Individual Extension Plans for accuracy and completeness with regard to identified state program initiatives; forward to ADO; Collaborate with Program Leaders and ADO to conduct annual faculty review, providing specific input with regard to professional conduct; Summarize teaching effectiveness forms, Review and approve time and attendance for faculty and staff; Facilitate annual Performance Review and Development (PRD) process for support staff; Attend County/City Extension Director/Unit Extension Coordinator training meetings; Coordinate training of new employees for all aspects regarding organization function. Program Leaders and AED will provide leadership for managing program responsibilities.
- County Government Relations: Facilitate working relationship between government offices and local UME offices; strengthen knowledge of county government officials with regard to UME and enhance collaborative efforts with elected county officials; Understand the UME Volunteer Policy; recruit volunteers to support UME program; Provide training to county agencies;/organizations on leadership and community development as requested; Coordinate space and facility requirements with county officials; manage facility needs with landlord.
- Program Coordination/Public Relations: Coordinate an Extension Advisory Committee (EAC) which is relative to county demographics; Schedule and facilitate quarterly EAC meetings with EAC chairperson; Work with faculty, EAC members, and other community leaders to develop a total Extension education plan based on local needs; Facilitate the maintenance of Affirmative Action (AA) files; Assist program staff with AA issues; Work with EAC and Extension colleagues to develop and implement a UME county marketing plan which may include an annual Extension report to share with county support groups and constituents that reflects the goals and impact of the local office’s educational programs.
- Service: Serve on local, regional and college and non-University community committees; provide leadership for committees, professional associations and special assignments.
- M.S. degree in business, finance, organizational development/leadership, education, supervision or related fields.
- Five years management, public relations, program development, local government, marketing, education or related fields. Experience in personnel management, budget preparation and justification and accounting are essential.
- Knowledge of county/state budget procedures; organizational policies and procedures; program development. Skills in fiscal management, personnel supervision, coaching, teaching, mentoring and disciplining. Ability to be proactive, manage time well, communicate clearly, interact with a variety of audiences.
- Flexible hours, with some weekends and evenings. Travel within the state. Personal transportation and valid driver’s license.
- This position is subject to a Criminal History Record Check. Employment is contingent upon successful completion and clearance of the Criminal History Record Check.
- Demonstrated leadership and management in the areas of budget preparation and management.
- Skills in coaching, teaching, mentoring and disciplining.
- Experience working with volunteers.
Physical Demands of the Position:
- This position is the Administrative Leader of three offices, and will travel extensively throughout the three-county area of Carroll, Baltimore, and Harford on a weekly basis, with periodic travel to meetings, trainings, and events throughout the state. Ability to drive and use personal transportation required. Work is primarily performed in an office environment based on the demands of business that day. Evening and weekend work is required and may occur several times per month.
- The position will frequently exchange information through vocal and written communication, with individuals of various ages, socio-economic, and educational backgrounds. The ability to express or exchange ideas vocally is important, as well as the ability to hear and perceive information at normal spoken work levels.
- Visual acuity is required to review and/or analyze written reports, spreadsheets, data and figures for accuracy. This position will also research information and prepare written materials and presentations for annual reports, budget presentations, and/or Advisory Council or staff meetings. Extensive viewing of a computer screen is normal.
- Ability to lift and carry small parcels, packages, and other items (up to 20 lbs.) between offices as well as be able to manage conflict, processes, and work within deadlines.
Salary and Benefits: Salary will be commensurate with experience, with base salary of $64,973. The University of Maryland offers an extensive benefits package.
Application Process: All candidates must apply online at https://ejobs.umd.edu/postings/59642. A complete application packet includes: a cover letter, resume (or CV uploaded as resume), contact information for three (3) professional references (including name, mailing address, telephone number, and email address), and copies of transcripts.
Closing Date: For best consideration apply by June 1, 2018 or until suitable applicant is found.
The University of Maryland, College Park, actively subscribes to a policy of equal employment opportunity, and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant because of race, age, sex, color, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, religion, ancestry or national origin, marital status, genetic information, political affiliation, and gender identity or expression. Minorities and women are encouraged to apply.