Vice President for Marketing and Communications
The Vice President (VP) will provide innovative, creative leadership to grow the Law Center’s profile by sharply defining the Law Center’s national brand, broadening its visibility, and significantly increasing engagement of key target audiences (female leaders, millennials, and women facing multiple inequalities) as well as grasstops and grassroots audiences. This strategic leader will leverage digital and field organizing strategies, media relations, and public engagement events to help advance the Law Center’s mission and realize the full vision of its strategic plan.
Reporting to the Senior Vice President for External Affairs and working closely with the President and CEO, the Chief Operating Officer/Chief of Staff, the Vice President for Development, and the entire senior team, the VP will lead a dedicated team currently including 13 individuals, including a Media Director, Director of Campaigns and Digital Strategies, an Art Director, and 10 other staff. The VP will manage all departmental operations, including oversight of a budget of approximately $1.5 million.
The Vice President’s specific responsibilities include:
- Provide overall strategic leadership of communications, brand management, and audience development for the Law Center’s multi-issue agenda, including leadership of an internal branding process that leverages the Law Center’s unique history and accomplishments to strategically position it within a challenging political, legal, and fundraising landscape; develop, implement and track a brand success matrix including a framework that builds capacity to capitalize on unanticipated opportunities;
- Develop and execute a plan to raise the Law Center’s profile as the go-to advocates for women and girls, cultivating strategic relationships with relevant and influential media outlets— including print, broadcast, and digital—to anticipate and maximize coverage opportunities; coach staff and other brand ambassadors to be effective spokespeople;
- Proactively develop integrated campaigns to raise visibility and awareness of the Law Center’s issues among key grasstops and grassroots stakeholders, including coalition partners and policy makers, celebrities and other high-level influencers, donors, and activists; ensure that these efforts are aligned with the Law Center’s strategic plan, responsive to evolving external opportunities/challenges, and help drive the organization’s legal, policy, culture change, and fundraising objectives;
- Collaborate with program staff to proactively shape and drive discourse on priority issues; increase size and diversity of stakeholder audiences, particularly millennial women and women of color, as well as the impact of litigation and advocacy efforts through effective messaging, storytelling and shared content through a strategic mix of channels, ensuring that the Law Center is strategically positioned in the broader gender justice movement;
- Create opportunities for the President & CEO to enhance her visibility and that of the Law Center through earned media, digital engagement, and live events;
- Foster an innovative, cutting-edge content creation program that employs a broad mix of technologies, formats, and media capable of attracting both earned and social media coverage; optimize assets to accelerate audience and revenue growth;
- Oversee the writing, design and production of print and digital materials, publications, newsletters, reports, donor collateral, etc., ensuring that all materials align with the Law Center’s brand and communications guidelines and present a holistic narrative consistent with the organization’s strategic plan;
- Collaborate with development staff to implement proactive strategies that lead to deeper stakeholder engagement over time; ensure that donor events align with brand guidelines and maximize opportunities for engagement and visibility with current and prospective donors and other influencers; provide strategic support for the Greenberger/Campbell Legacy Leadership Fund Campaign;
- Direct analytical data gathering, opinion mining, market testing of strategies, and ongoing assessment against goals and benchmarks; share best practices and innovative ideas from other organizations and campaigns;
- Motivate and nurture a diverse, inclusive, and high-performing team, with attention to equity in all aspects of day-to-day work as well as relationships with consultants, vendors, and partners;
- As a member of the senior staff, provide vital input on strategic and operational planning and positioning for the Law Center, and help lead organization-wide internal change initiatives;
- Negotiate cost-effective professional services agreements with third-party vendors, and oversee compliance to such agreements; and
- Formulate and implement communications and branding activities for the National Women’s Law Center’s Action Fund and the National Women's Law Center Fund LLC, with such activities being implemented under a cost-sharing agreement with the Center.
The Law Center seeks a candidate with:
- Knowledge of and passion for gender justice and advocacy, with demonstrated ability to serve as a compelling ambassador for these issues; an existing network of influencer relationships among the Law Center’s priority audiences is a plus;
- Demonstrated experience steering an organizational brand and identity, ideally within a legal and/or policy context;
- Deep knowledge and hands on experience with a broad range of media—print, broadcast, and digital—and with a proven track record that demonstrates an ability to leverage an organization’s content and expertise in the media;
- Experience coaching others to be effective spokespeople and to securing opportunities for them to be effective brand ambassadors, including in diverse media outlets; exceptional writing, oral communications, and editing skills;
- Senior-level experience at successfully building and managing a collaborative and diverse team; strong interpersonal, problem-solving, and mentoring skills; demonstrated success applying an equity lens to leadership and management;
- Ability to work effectively with and gain the respect of multiple constituencies, including senior executives and decision-makers, team members at all levels, and staff across departments; ability to adapt, be nimble and creative, and to thrive in a fast-paced, evolving organizational culture;
- Demonstrated success partnering with fundraising staff to develop and implement integrated grasstops and grassroots campaigns and donor events that appeal to and engage a broad range of supporters, and that generate substantial unrestricted revenue;
- Political savvy, with demonstrated ability to create and lead constructive partnerships; experience with celebrity engagement is preferred;
- Past experience working with legal scholars, policymakers, and/or attorneys is preferred;
- Bachelor’s degree is required; Master’s degree or relevant additional experience is preferred.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply for this position, please forward a resume, as well as a substantive cover letter outlining your interests and qualifications via e-mail to: VPMarketingandCommunications@nwlc.org and include position title in the subject line. Electronic submissions are preferred. Hard copies may be addressed to: Human Resources Department, National Women’s Law Center, 11 Dupont Circle, NW, Suite 800, Washington, DC 20036. Applications accepted until position is filled.
The National Women’s Law Center is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and values a diverse workforce. We strongly encourage and seek applications from people with disabilities, women, men, people of color, including bilingual and bicultural individuals, veterans, and LGBTQI individuals.
As noted above, NWLC welcomes applications from individuals with disabilities. If you require reasonable accommodations during any part of the hiring process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or you may send the request by mail to:
National Women’s Law Center
ATTN: Human Resources Director
11 Dupont Circle NW, Suite 800
Washington, DC 20036