Associate Director for Strategic Communications
The position will be responsible for overseeing and creating effective strategic communications for Georgetown University in Qatar and relevant to Georgetown University's efforts in the Middle East, North Africa, and South Asia markets.
- Responsible for the creation of dynamic and engaging content, selecting the appropriate tone, style, structure and voice based on usage, space, strategy, media and brand considerations
- Write, create, oversee and coordinate communication efforts across all audiences internal and external to ensure that there is consistency in approach towards conveying all communications
- Develop content strategy aligned with short-term and long-term targets for raising institutional profile
- Prepare leaders of the campus and members of the community in writing and delivering key messages, talking points for appropriate employees, media and for public interactions
- Draft speeches, letters, remarks, talking points, opinion editorials, blog entries, grant proposals, and other public and private materials for the dean and other senior staff
- Produce thorough fact-based ad-hoc updates and executive summaries for various institutional leaders
- Analyze campus programs, events and activities and create strategies for promotion in print, electronic and broadcast media
- Monitor news and social media and communications initiatives and report on risks, progress and outcomes to help mitigate associated brand impacts
- Report) on a weekly basis regarding arising strategic issues and on short and medium term risks profile of the campus and areas of potential impact.Plan communication strategies and tactics and contingencies in cases of potential adverse impact
- Serve as gatekeeper for media requests for official University comment Conduct content audits to identify gaps and redundancies in the website content
- Oversee and implement policies, procedures and guidelines in relation to communication management, adverse situation response and business continuity related messaging
- Develop standard operating procedures, create communication policies and procedures and help support messaging for effective community preparedness
- Establish institutional policy, procedure and structure to ensure compliance with all laws including General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), Qatar Data Protection Regulation and other regulations requirements for data protection and privacy
- Act as second in command for CCO and backup for the Assistant Director of Marketing and when needed as the acting chairperson for the Emergency Response Team
- Work with Education City institutional counterparts and Qatar Foundation to respond tocommunications inquiries, respond to ad-hoc and scheduled reporting requests
- Work independently with confidence, but with an awareness of and commitment to helping the department and institution succeed
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Master's degree in business, strategic management or strategic communications preferred
- At least 5 years of managing strategic communications projects
- Superb ability in creating oral and in written communications
- Broad understanding of organizational processes, structure and strategy
- Strong understanding of the higher education industry
- Strong people management and influencing skills
- Demonstrated ability for multiple project management and result achievement
- Advantageous to have experience in higher education and in the Middle East
- Exposure to strategic planning and communications process in a higher education or similar environment
- Knowledge of project management and program development
- Familiarity with HIPPA, FERPA, Title IX and GDPR
- Proficiency with MS Office and Google Apps
- Arabic proficiency desired to oversee Arabic content development and Arabization
Current Georgetown Employees:
If you currently work at Georgetown University, please exit this website and login to GMS (gms.georgetown.edu) using your Net ID and password. Then select the Career worklet on your GMS Home dashboard to view Jobs at Georgetown.
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any position at Georgetown University you must submit a cover letter and resume for each position of interest for which you believe you are qualified. These documents are not kept on file for future positions.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please click here for more information, or contact the Office of Institutional Diversity, Equity, and Affirmative Action (IDEAA) at 202-687-4798 or email@example.com.
Need some assistance with the application process? Please call 202-687-2500. For more information about the suite of benefits, professional development and community involvement opportunities that make up Georgetown's commitment to its employees, please visit the Georgetown Works website.
Georgetown University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer fully dedicated to achieving a diverse faculty and staff. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, and sexual orientation), disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.