Associate Solicitor, Employment and Training Legal Services
Occasional travel - May be required.
Relocation expenses reimbursed Yes Relocation Costs Associated with the permanent change of duty location of the selected candidate may be paid by Office of the Solicitor.
The Department of Labor does not recognize academic degrees from schools that are not accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U. S. Department of Education. Any applicant falsely claiming an academic degree from an accredited school will be subject to actions ranging from disqualification from Federal employment to removal from Federal service.To qualify for this position, all applicants must write a narrative in the spaces provided detailing accomplishments that would satisfy each of the ECQs and MTQs. You must address each ECQ and MTQ separately. If you fail to do so, your application will be rated ineligible.
In writing your responses to the ECQs, your narrative must address each ECQ separately in the spaces provided. Each ECQ should contain at least two examples describing your experiences and accomplishments/results. Responses to ECQ's must not exceed 10 pages. It is recommended that applicants draft their ECQs in a Word document first, then cut and paste into the spaces provided following each ECQ to ensure length requirements. For additional guidance, applicants may visit the Office of Personnel Management's Guide to Senior Executive Qualifications. Applicants are encouraged to follow the Challenge, Context, Action, and Result model outlined in the guide.
MANDATORY EXECUTIVE CORE QUALIFICATIONS (ECQs):
1. Leading Change: This core qualification involves the ability to bring about strategic change, both within and outside the organization, to meet organizational goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to establish an organizational vision and to implement it in a continuously changing environment.
2. Leading People: This core qualification involves the ability to lead people toward meeting the organization's vision, mission, and goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to provide an inclusive workplace that fosters the development of others, facilitates cooperation and teamwork, and supports constructive resolution of conflicts.
3. Results Driven: This core qualification involves the ability to meet organizational goals and customer expectations. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to make decisions that produce high-quality results by applying technical knowledge, analyzing problems, and calculating risks.
4. Business Acumen: This core qualification involves the ability to manage human, financial, and information resources strategically.
5. Building Coalitions: This core qualification involves the ability to build coalitions internally and with other Federal agencies, State and local governments, nonprofit and private sector organizations, foreign governments, or international organizations to achieve common goals.
MANDATORY TECHNICAL QUALIFICATIONS (MTQs): In writing your narrative responses to the MTQs, please give examples and explain how often you used your skills, the complexity of the knowledge possessed, the level of people you interacted with, the sensitivity of the issues you handled, etc. APPLICANTS SHOULD LIMIT THEIR RESPONSES TO ONE (1) SINGLE SPACED PAGE PER EACH MTQ WITH THE FONT SIZE NO SMALLER THAN POINT 12. It is recommended that applicants draft their MTQs in a Word document first, then cut and paste into the spaces provided following each MTQ to ensure length requirement:
1. In depth knowledge of the federal and state unemployment compensation system, foreign labor certification programs, and/or workforce development programs, or comparable employment laws and programs, acquired through litigation, provision of legal advice and or participation in rulemaking.
2. In depth knowledge of and experience in federal rulemaking
3. Familiarity with federal court and/or administrative trial and/or appellate litigation.
4. Demonstrated ability to determine needs and formulate legal strategies, plans, policies, and objectives to achieve organizational goals and successfully provide legal services to a wide range of divergent programs.
5. Demonstrated ability to collaborate with components across the organization, as well as with external organizations to produce results.
6. Demonstrated experience in applying legal knowledge through executive level legal counseling.
7. Demonstrated communication skills and ability to establish continuing, productive working relationships with employees, colleagues, superiors and career and political level clients.
Education for this position is a requirement and applicants must possess a J.D. You will be required to provide an original copy of your transcripts at a later time. Applicants are required to be active members of the Bar in any US State or US Territory Court under the U.S. Constitution. Documentation of Bar License will be required before selection.
PROOF OF CITIZENSHIP. Applicants, who are not current Department of Labor (DOL) employees, will be required to provide proof of citizenship in the form of a passport, birth certificate or other approved documentation, prior to entry on duty.
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Candidates will be evaluated based upon their qualifications. In addition, applicants will be evaluated based upon their responses to the Mandatory Technical Qualifications (MTQs) and Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs).
To preview questions please click here.