Director Office of Surveillance and Compliance
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Relocation expenses reimbursed Yes Relocation reimbursement may be authorized.
All applicants are required to submit the following supporting document type(s):
-Ph.D./D.V.M. or equivalent transcripts (unofficial transcripts/foreign education evaluation are acceptable at time of application)
-A written narrative addressing the Mandatory Qualifications which include each of the five Executive Core Qualifications.
-A written narrative addressing the Desirable Qualifications should also be submitted, if applicable.
BASIC QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
Candidates must have a doctoral-level degree from an accredited institution of higher learning, such as a Ph.D. or D.V.M., or other research doctoral-degree widely recognized in U.S. academe as equivalent to a Ph.D.
- 0401: biological sciences, agriculture, natural resource management, chemistry, or related disciplines appropriate to the position.
- 0403: microbiology; or biology, chemistry, or basic medical science that included at least 20 semester hours in microbiology and other subjects related to the study of microorganisms, and 20 semester hours in the physical and mathematical sciences combining course work in organic chemistry or biochemistry, physics, and college algebra, or their equivalent.
- 0415: toxicology; or an appropriate discipline of the biological, medical, or veterinary sciences that include at least 30 semester hours in chemistry, biochemistry, or physiology, and 12 semester hours in toxicology.
- 0487: animal science, dairy science, poultry science; or a related discipline or field of animal science that include at least 30 semester hours in the basic biological and agricultural sciences, and 20 semester hours in animal science. For animal scientist positions, at least 10 of the required 20 semester hours in animal science must be in courses dealing with the breeding, feeding, production, and management of livestock, and the care and preparation of their products. For dairy scientist positions, at least 10 of the required 20 semester hours in animal science must be in dairy science. For poultry scientist positions, at least 10 of the required 20 semester hours in animal science must be in poultry science.
- 0696: degree in quality assurance or a related degree that included at least 30 semester hours in one or a combination of the following: consumer laws, biological sciences, food science, chemistry, pharmacy, physical sciences, food technology, nutrition, medical science, engineering, epidemiology, veterinary medical science, legal investigations, law enforcement, or related scientific fields that provided knowledge directly related to consumer safety officer work. The 30 semester hours may include up to 8 semester hours in statistics, or course work that included the principles, theory, or practical application of computers or computer programming.
- 0701: Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM) or equivalent degree, i.e., Veterinary Medical Doctor (VMD), obtained at a college of veterinary medicine accredited by the American Veterinary Medical Association Council on Education (AVMA).
- 1320: physical sciences, life sciences, or engineering that included 30 semester hours in chemistry, supplemented by course work in mathematics through differential and integral calculus, and at least 6 semester hours of physics.
- Candidates must meet the minimum qualification requirements for the GS-15 and beyond in the civil service.
- Effectively manage a large complex organization with a multi-disciplinary scientific, technical, health related staff involved in a variety of scientific, public health and regulatory activities associated with drugs, food or devices. (Narrative Response Required-2-Page Limit)
- Experience managing regulatory or compliance activities/program that included developing or reviewing policy, developing approaches and programs for investigating and evaluating the compliance of regulated domestic and foreign industries with laws and regulations administered by the FDA. (Narrative Response Required-2-Page Limit)
- Demonstrated experience in the Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs) listed below.
- ECQ 1 - Leading Change: Involves the ability to bring about strategic change, both within and outside the organization, to meet organizational goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to establish an organizational vision and to implement it in a continuously changing environment. (Narrative Response Required-2-Page Limit)
- ECQ 2 - Leading People: Involves the ability to lead people toward meeting the organization's vision, mission, and goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to provide an inclusive workplace that fosters the development of others, facilitates cooperation and teamwork, and supports constructive resolution of conflicts. (Narrative Response Required-2-Page Limit)
- ECQ 3 - Results Driven: Involves the ability to meet organizational goals and customer expectations. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to make decisions that produce high-quality results by applying technical knowledge, analyzing problems, and calculating risks. (Narrative Response Required-2-Page Limit)
- ECQ 4 - Business Acumen: Involves the ability to manage human, financial, and information resources strategically. (Narrative Response Required-2-Page Limit)
- ECQ 5 - Building Coalitions: Involves the ability to build coalitions internally and with other Federal agencies, State and local governments, foreign governments, international organizations, academia, or industry to achieve common goals. (Narrative Response Required-2-Page Limit)
- Knowledge and understanding of the provisions, limitations, and practical application of Food and Drug Administration laws and regulations. (Narrative Response Required-2-Page Limit, if applicable)
Foreign Education: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit the U.S. Department of Education website for Foreign Education Evaluation.
- One year supervisory/managerial probationary period may be required.
- Only experience gained by closing date of announcement will be considered.
- Outside activity restrictions apply.
1. Additional Security and Background Requirements: This position requires a Top Secret Security Clearance. If not previously completed, a background security investigation will be required for all appointees. Appointment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication of a Top Secret Clearance. Failure to successfully meet these requirements may be grounds for appropriate personnel action. Applicants are also advised that all information concerning qualification is subject to investigation. False representation may be grounds for non-selection and/or appropriate disciplinary action. Failure to obtain and maintain the required level of clearance may result in the withdrawal of a position offer or removal.
2. E-Verify: If you are selected for this position, the documentation that you present for purposes of completing the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Form I-9 will be verified through the DHS "E-Verify" System. Federal law requires DHS to use the E-Verify System to verify employment eligibility of all new hires, and as a condition of continued employment obligates the new hire to take affirmative steps to resolve any discrepancies identified by the system. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services is an E-Verify Participant.
3.Financial disclosure statement required. FDA inspires public confidence by maintaining high ethical principles, and all Federal Government employees are subject to the conflict of interest statutes and regulations, including the Standards of Ethical Conduct, that govern activities with outside organizations and reporting financial holdings. Certain positions within the FDA are subject to strict restrictions on financial holdings (FDA regulated financial holdings). The Ethics in Government Act, PL 95-521 also requires the applicant selected for this position to submit a Public Financial Disclosure Report, OGE-278, prior to assuming this position, annually, and upon termination of employment. To determine how this position is affected, applicants are advised to seek additional information during the interview process from the Ethics and Integrity Staff, Division Management Programs at (301) 796-8435 prior to accepting such a position.
4. Prohibited financial interests restrictions apply: Employees designated as public or confidential filers, and their spouse or minor children, may not hold financial interests in FDA significantly regulated organizations.
5.Outside activity restrictions apply: Requests for approval of outside activities may be required prior to participation n certain outside activities and outside employment. Employees designated public or confidential filers may not have outside activity, unpaid or paid, with FDA significantly regulated organizations
6.All male applicants born after December 31, 1959, must have registered for the selective service. If selected for this position, the applicant must sign a statement certifying his registration, or the applicant must demonstrate exempt status under the Selective Service Law. Read more
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the job opportunity announcement closes (at 11:59 pm ET on 06/22/2018, a review of your resume and supporting documentation will be conducted, the information will be compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine your eligibility for Federal employment, and then whether or not you are qualified for this particular position.
Qualification determinations will be based on the information provided in your application and the requirements of the position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
Structured interviews; applicants may be asked scenario-based interview questions concerning core competencies.
Method/tools used to evaluate applicants: work samples, conducting a presentation, reference checks, tests may be used.
To preview the assessment questionnaire, click this link: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10185371
***Incentives may be authorized; however, this is contingent upon funds availability. If authorized, certain incentives will require you to sign a service agreement to remain in the Federal government for a period of up to 3 years. Note: This statement does not imply nor guarantee an incentive will be offered and paid. Incentives include the following: moving expenses, recruitment or relocation incentive; student loan repayment, superior qualifications appointment, creditable service for annual leave for prior non-federal work experience or prior uniformed military service, etc.