Associate Director, Center for Economic Education
Job Category : Admin or Professional Faculty
Working hours :
Salary : $70,000 - $80,000, Commensurate with education and experience.
Web Announcement :
Associate Director, Center for Economic Education
The GMU Center for Economic Education seeks an energetic and self-motivated Associate Director to handle the day-to-day work of the Center and implementing all of the Centers K-12 continuing education activities. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Masons academic and culturally inclusive environment.This 12 month position reports to the Director but is expected to operate with a high degree of independence to provide outreach to Northern Virginia K-12 school divisions and teachers to promote and enhance economic and financial education for K-12 students. This position, working in partnership with area school divisions, the Virginia Council on Economic Education (VCEE) and area businesses and foundations, will ensure the GMU Center serves as a strong resource for area K-12 teachers so that their students graduate economically and financially literate.
- Schedule, promote and conduct classes, institutes and other professional development for K-12 teachers relating to economic and financial education;
- Consult with area public K-12 administrators to identify areas of greatest need and design professional development accordingly;
- Promote and regionally coordinate Virginia Council on Economic Educations statewide programs including the Stock Market Game™, Governors Challenge in Economics and Personal Finance, Economic Educator Awards Program, Reading Makes Cents and others;
- Stay abreast of new resources and instructional practices to share with teachers;
- Stay up-to-date with technology to assist with effective outreach and teaching;
- Help identify and cultivate external partnerships and community support for the Center and its programs;
- Increase awareness in the Northern Virginia education and business communities of the importance of economics and financial education and the programs the Center and VCEE provide;
- Work effectively and professionally with on- and off-campus colleagues, including other similar Centers in Virginia and the United States;
- Attend and present at professional conferences and meetings and partner with like-minded organizations in the community and state to enhance and expand economic and financial education; and
- Be a resource for VCEE and the Virginia Department of Education on matters relating to economic and financial education and literacy. Required Qualifications:
- Minimum of Masters Degree or an equivalent of education and experience;
- A strong background and understanding of economics with the ability to relay economic and financial concepts in a manner that is readily understood;
- A passion for the importance of economic and financial education;
- A self-starter and creative thinker able to demonstrate initiative in suggesting and implementing new ideas and approaches
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and skilled in the use of technology. Preferred Qualifications:
- Bachelor or Masters degree in economics, economic education or related field
- Minimum of five years work experience that enhances knowledge of economic and financial education;
- Proven ability to build relationships with K-12 administrators and teachers as well as business and university partners
- Strong administrative skills to plan and execute teaching workshops.
- Marketing skills.
Special Instructions : For full consideration, applicants must apply at https://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
MasonAd : Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report Up and Coming spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Masons diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
Equity Statement : George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Close Date :