Term Associate/Full Professor, Forensic Science
Job Category : Instructional or Research Faculty
Working hours :
Salary : Commensurate with education and experience.
Web Announcement :
Term Associate/Full Professor, Forensic Science
The George Mason University, Forensic Science Program, in the College of Science, invites applications for our new faculty position at the Associate or Full Professor rank. This full-time, term faculty position is scheduled to begin in August 2018. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Masons academic and culturally inclusive environment.
Duties: The selected candidate will teach undergraduate and graduate courses in Forensic Science, assist in advising students in the departments undergraduate and graduate programs, supervise graduate and undergraduate student research, and actively participate in the continuous development of forensic science research at GMU. Typical course loads are 4:4. The incumbent will also be expected to develop and maintain a nationally recognized and externally funded research program in their area of expertise with a specific focus on establishing trans-disciplinary collaboration in research and application to the field of forensic science. Candidates from all relevant disciplines are eligible to apply and candidates with expertise in the following areas are particularly encouraged to apply: life science discipline, humanities or other discipline with forensic science relevance. Candidates with an expertise in the following areas are particularly encouraged to apply: Biology, Chemistry, Biology, and Anthropology.
- Candidates must have successfully completed a Ph.D. in a life science discipline, humanities or other discipline related to forensics science prior to the first day of the appointment;
- Have been published in high quality, high impact peer reviewed journals;
- Possess at least several years of operational/applied experience working in the field of forensic science, either in a forensic laboratory setting, or in the field, for example working with law enforcement, military or other organization;
- Possess an outstanding record of scholarly achievement and educational excellence in teaching and research, a proven ability to obtain extramural funding, excellent communication and leadership skills and a strategic vision for a Forensic Science program; and
- Share the programs commitment to excellence in undergraduate and graduate instruction and have the ability to collaborate with faculty and mentor graduate students. Preferred Qualifications In their area of expertise, candidates should possess knowledge and experience in:
- Analytical techniques
- Data interpretation
- Ethics and professional values
- Court testimony
- Evidence handling
- Principles and concepts of forensic science applications
- Research methodology and statistical analysis, lab and case report writing
- Case management and/or analysis
- Familiarity with operation of forensic science research laboratory
- Instrument maintenance and set-up, preparation and validation of reagents, controls and calibrators, reporting of test results, etc.
- Proper methods to discard chemicals and biological materials
- Experience with laboratory accreditation, safety program administration and knowledge of laboratory Quality Assurance/Quality Control principles
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills and a high level of integrity
About Us: The Forensic Science Program in the College of Science consists of five full-time term faculty, a project manager, and 14 adjunct faculty. Both full time and adjunct faculty members have operational Forensic Science field experience. The program has nearly 300 undergraduate students, 100 graduate students, and two GTAs.
Special Instructions : For full consideration, applicants must apply at https://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, CV, philosophy of teaching statement, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
MasonAd : Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report Up and Coming spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Masons diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
Equity Statement : George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Close Date :