School Crossing Guards for Reston
This announcement will be used to fill multiple positions.
Controls traffic to ensure the safe and orderly movement of student pedestrians to and from school. Monitors operation of wink-o-matic school flashing lights during opening and closing times, and reports any malfunctions. Reports hazardous traffic conditions at student crossing locations.
SPECIAL NOTE: This is a part-time position with limited hours (10 hours per week) and no benefits when hired for a single crossing location. Please take into consideration the commute during these peak hours when selecting a crossing location. It is recommended applying only to those crossing in close proximity, within 10-15 minutes to your base location. Must be a Fairfax County resident.
RESTON: Monday thru Friday
Hunters Woods Elementary School: 2401 Colts Neck Road, Reston, VA
Crossing Location: Colts Neck Road and Paddock Lane
Monday thru Friday: 8:35 a.m. to 8:55 a.m. and 3:40 p.m. to 4:10 p.m.
Clearview Elementary School: 12635 Builders Road, Herndon, VA
Crossing Location: Builders Road in front of school
Monday thru Friday: 8:30 a.m. to 8:50 a.m. and 3:35 p.m. to 4:05 p.m.
Dranesville Elementary School: 1515 Powells Tavern Place, Herndon, VA
Crossing Location: Powells Tavern Place in front of Kiss and Ride
Monday thru Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 9:20 a.m. and 4:05 p.m. to 4:35 p.m.
Fox Mill Elementary School: 2601 Viking Drive, Herndon, VA
Crossing Location: Viking Drive and John Milton Drive
Monday thru Friday: 8:25 a.m. to 8:45 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Controls traffic at crossing to allow children to cross safely;
- Places school sentinel signs in the roadway at designated points near crossings and removes them before going off duty;
- Maintains discipline over children to ensure conformance with traffic and crossing regulations;
- Reports children who fail to cooperate;
- Instructs children in the safe and correct way to cross streets and in ways to identify a potential traffic hazard;
- Reports accidents, traffic violations and hazardous conditions.
- Knowledge of traffic regulations;
- Skill in use of tact and courtesy;
- Ability and willingness to work in inclement weather;
- Ability to work with children;
- Ability to read and write;
- Ability to follow written and oral instructions;
- Ability to maintain a high level of ethical standards;
- Ability to demonstrate a high level of integrity and to be truthful at all times.
Any combination of education, experience, and training equivalent to: high school graduation or a GED issued by a state department of education.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Must pass a medical screening provided by Fairfax County Occupational Health Center.
- Subject to Child Protective Services Check and Criminal Background Investigation as a condition of hiring and periodically thereafter, as determined by the department head.
- Must be a Fairfax County resident.
- Knowledge of traffic regulations.
- Ability to work with children.
- Ability to follow written and oral instructions.
- Must possess tact and courtesy.
Ability and willingness to work in inclement weather. Must have good hearing and good vision. Physical requirements can be performed with or without reasonable accommodations.
It is the policy of Fairfax County Government to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 711. EEO/AA/TTY.