Vehicle Engineer - Rail
MARKETING STATEMENT (Vehicle Engineer – CTEM)
If you’re passionate about vehicle engineering, consider joining our team of vehicle engineers in the nation’s capital. You’ll contribute everyday to the building of a technologically advanced, world class transportation system. Our ideal candidate should have experience with the design and repair of diesel powered Roadway Maintenance Machines (RMM) or heavy construction equipment and knowledge of AAR and AREMA standards. In addition, our ideal candidate should have knowledge of hydraulic, electro-hydraulic, pneumatic systems and structural design. Experience with CAN, PLC, DAQ, and DC circuit design for rail or transportation equipment is desired.
- Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical, Electrical or a related Engineering field
- In lieu of a Bachelor’s degree, a High School Diploma and four (4) years of experience performing vehicle engineering tasks (i.e. troubleshooting, vehicle/sub-system testing, component/sub-system design, development & review of technical documentation) may be considered.
- Three (3) years of progressively responsible engineering experience performing rail/maintenance of way vehicle engineering tasks (i.e. troubleshooting, vehicle/sub-system testing, component/sub-system design, development & review of technical documentation).
- Experience in developing equipment specifications is desired
The Vehicle Engineer is responsible for ensuring the design and maintenance integrity of rail car and maintenance vehicles, vehicle systems, subsystems and support equipment. Responsible for evaluating railcar system performance, condition and characteristics and, where appropriate, initiating and implementing modifications. Also responsible for integrating broadly-stated policies or objectives into preventative or corrective maintenance programs.
- Tests vehicles using various test and data acquisition systems to evaluate operational performance parameters.
- Ensures that the requirements for new rapid transit cars, maintenance vehicles and their related systems, subsystems, and support equipment are included in WMATA specifications.
- Serves as project engineer for procurement of equipment or services related to rail cars and maintenance vehicles.
- Evaluates the performance of transit rail car and maintenance vehicle systems, subsystems and components to determine the nature and cause of problems that develop in the course of their operation and recommends corrective actions or special maintenance procedures that will eliminate future failures.
- Investigates and prepares reports on technical studies relating to design, compatibility, maintenance and testing requirements of rail car/track equipment systems and subsystems.
- Evaluates technical proposals, cost estimates, specifications, and designs for compliance with WMATA’s operational needs.
- Develops technical specifications and designs for new vehicles and/or replacement equipment, develops implementation schedules and coordinates installation, monitors progress and schedules to ensure adherence to timetables, budgets and contract completion. Develops effective standards for equipment and system testing, determining cause and effect of maintenance failures.
- Directs the operational tests of rapid transit car systems and subsystems in coordination with maintenance or engineering personnel.
- Reviews equipment condition and reliability and recommends systems or subsystems for replacement or rehabilitation under the Capital Improvement Program. Performs life cycle cost analysis to determine effectiveness of current systems and equipment in meeting service requirements.
- Performs engineering and technical evaluation of new vehicles and newly installed, modified, or existing equipment to ensure conformity with WMATA’s installation, performance and maintenance standards. Analyzes the above mentioned modifications for potential effects in the area of rail car/track equipment cost, time requirements and reliability.
- Reviews contractor submittals, evaluate test procedures, maintenance manuals and inspection schedules for new equipment and recommend improvements to enhance reliability objectives.
- Develops preventive maintenance procedures for equipment and recommends adjustments to maintenance schedules as necessary to improve reliability or respond to changing operating conditions.
- Respond to incidents, conducts incident investigations and writes formal report of findings.
- Performs duties of the Roadway Worker in Charge as assigned in support of rail vehicle/maintenance of way equipment track testing.
- Performs engineering and design work to assist with maintaining Engineering documentation within the EPDM system, for the Configuration Control Management process. Ensures configuration control for technical documentation, maintenance manuals and drawings.
The essential duties listed are not intended to limit specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Nor is it intended to limit in any way the right of managers and supervisors to assign, direct and control the work of employees under their supervision.
Consideration will be given to applicants whose resumes demonstrate the required education and experience. Applicants should include all relevant education and work experience.
Evaluation criteria may include one or more of the following:
- Personal Interview
- Skills Assessments
- Verification of education and experience
- Criminal Background Check
- Credit history report for positions with fiduciary responsibilities
- Successful completion of a medical examination including a drug and alcohol screening
- Review of a current Motor Vehicle Report
Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority, a Federal contractor, is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, gender, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, physical or mental disability, or status as a protected veteran, or any other status protected by applicable federal law, except where a bona fide occupational qualification exists. Our hiring process is designed to be accessible and free from discrimination.
This posting is an announcement of a vacant position under recruitment. It is not intended to replace the official job description. Job descriptions are available upon confirmation of an interview.