Director, US Communications
5 days left
- Full Time
Position Summary/ Objective
We, at the International Fund for Animal Welfare, are looking for a dynamic and energetic candidate to join our internal Communications & Marketing team. This person will work to drive cross-channel, in-market visibility for the organization. The ideal candidate will be someone who inherently connects with the brand DNA and is able to work inter-departmentally on integrated strategies and execution of plans. He/she must be a creative storyteller at heart, know how to craft a media-worthy narrative and bring a robust network of influential contacts (media and otherwise) to the table. A background in policy, government relations or corporate communications is preferred and the ability and passion to navigate diverse, complex, and global subject matter is a must.
Role and Responsibilities
- Provide strategic counsel on managing IFAW’s brand and reputation in North America (U.S. and Canada).
- Work with US program team to develop communications and outreach strategies for integrated campaigns for US audiences including policy advocacy, private sector and the public.
- Create and promote events for IFAW in Washington and around the US to drive campaign impact and organizational visibility.
- Develop and execute a U.S.-focused communications and marketing strategy that ladders up to global goals.
- Connect and align communications efforts across internal stakeholder groups including country and program directors, development and digital.
- Build and strengthen in-house media relations capabilities on the business, media and trade side and be responsible for arranging media interviews (print, video, broadcast and online) with executives; manage preparation and research, as well as conduct any necessary follow-up.
- Manage breaking news/crisis communications events inclusive of crafting formal statements, devising media strategy and managing incoming inquiries.
- Manage day-to-day relationships with agencies to drive story creation and positive coverage.
- Craft and ensure high quality, accurate press releases, corporate fact sheets, talking points, messaging docs, presentations, and other communications materials for external and internal audiences.
- Identify, pitch and manage speaking opportunities for executives and subject matter experts.
- Monitor high visibility and business-building awards programs and manage company entries.
- Oversee the production of all collateral materials.
- Report quarterly metrics to quantify PR performance by category and vis-à-vis competitors.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
- Bachelor's Degree in business, marketing, communications or related field; advanced degree preferred
- 7-plus years of experience
- An ability to learn, dissect and distill highly-complex subject matter
- Superb writing and editing skills and a strong sense of narrative and storytelling
- Demonstrated track record of success in developing, prioritizing, and managing integrated, multi-channel ROI-oriented communications strategies
- Strong knowledge of digital communications, emerging platforms, and engaging key digital influencers
- Experience providing public relations counsel to senior leaders and managing executive communications
- Understanding of how to position and control sensitive information when interfacing with internal and external audiences
- Energy, initiative and “roll up your sleeves” attitude
- First-class organization, teamwork and communication skills
- Excellent presentation skills
- Ability to manage pressure, meet deadlines and monitor and evaluate results
- Global travel required