Accounts Payable Administrator
- Full Time
Position Summary: The Accounts Payable Administrator is responsible for the daily processing of accounting transactions in an accurate, timely manner. The incumbent will ensure that proper approvals are obtained and that expenditures are in accordance with NAFSA policies and procedures, as well as inputting data into the accounting software system and reconciling accounts. Reporting to the Controller, the Accounts Payable Administrator will perform various accounting-related clerical duties, filing, and special projects as needed. This position will serve as the accounting liaison to non-financial staff, association members and volunteers, as well as external vendors to resolve disbursement issues.
Major Functions and Responsibilities
- Reviews incoming invoices, allocates to appropriate general ledger account, and distributes electronically to staff and volunteer leaders for approval
- Monitors invoices in the system for timely approvals; resolves timing issues with appropriate staff and volunteer leaders
- Processes faxed credit card membership payments in a prompt manner
- Completes credit applications, license applications, vendor compliance forms, replies to requests for W9 forms, and other related documentation
- Assists Controller in applying for sales tax licenses and exemptions in various states
- Prepares and reviews Form 1099 reports and ensures vendor W9 forms are appropriately documented
- Trains new non-financial staff on organizational accounting policies and procedures
- Maintains vendor contracts; communicates with vendors and internal customers to resolve invoice and payment inquiries
- Researches, tracks, and resolves outstanding checks or discrepancies within a 90-day window
- Assists accountants by inputting cash receipt data into subsidiary systems
- Prepares monthly journal entries and schedules as needed
- Mails checks and credit card payments received to appropriate lockboxes
- Maintains accounting department supplies and prepares boxes for shipping to and from annual conference site
- Complies with any other tasks as requested by the Controller or Chief Financial Officer
- Performs cashier functions at the registration booth at the annual conference including nightly reconciliation.
- Associate’s degree in accounting or related field or a commensurate combination of education and experience
- At least two (2) years of accounts payable experience
- Knowledge of accounts payable practices and basic accounting principles
- Familiarity with electronic accounting systems
- Intermediate proficiency in MS Excel; competency with entire MS Office suite
- Skill in managing data with high accuracy and an eye for detail
- Excellent written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills; ability to interact with all types of internal and external customers
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or a related field
- Familiarity with Intacct financial management software and Bill.com software system
- Experience with iMIS membership database software
- Background in nonprofit accounting
The workday is generally 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Between Memorial Day and Labor Day, it is 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. on Friday.
Travel and weekend work is required occasionally, especially during the annual conference, regional meetings, and late January leadership meetings. Participation in the NAFSA annual conference the week of Memorial Day, including the holiday itself, is a job requirement. The annual conference is held in varying cities in the U.S.
About NAFSA: Association of International Educators
NAFSA: Association of International Educators is an organization of people dedicated to building a global community and fostering a more peaceful world through advancing international higher education. With approximately 10,000 members, NAFSA is the world’s largest professional development and advocacy organization committed to international learning and creating a more globally engaged, welcoming, and educated United States.
NAFSA believes that international education advances learning and scholarship, fosters understanding and respect among people of diverse backgrounds and perspectives, is essential for developing globally competent individuals, and builds leadership for the global community. We believe that international education lies at the core of an interconnected world characterized by peace, security, and well-being for all.
NAFSA is a workplace that not only appreciates diversity but believes it is our strength, and we strive to create an inclusive culture for all our team members. NAFSA is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Learn more about NAFSA at www.nafsa.org.