Deputy Assistant Administrator for Recovery
Occasional travel - This position may require occasional non-emergency travel.
Relocation expenses reimbursed Yes Relocation expenses MAY be authorized.
Failure to meet the basic qualification requirement and all Technical and Executive Core Qualification factors automatically disqualifies an applicant.As a basic requirement for entry into the SES, applicants must provide evidence of progressively responsible leadership experience that is indicative of senior executive level managerial capability and directly related to the skills and abilities outlined under Technical Qualifications and Executive Core Qualifications. Typically, experience of this nature will have been gained at or above the GS-15 grade level in the Federal service, or its equivalent with state or local government, the private sector, or nongovernmental organizations. An earned doctorate and senior leadership experience in an accredited institution of higher education or equivalent as both a highly skilled executive and as an accomplished educator are preferred but not required. The successful candidate will be a motivated leader who has a record of sound fiscal management, experience in a senior administrative position, and proficiency in community engagement.
Each applicant is required to submit a comprehensive narrative statement, which addresses BOTH the mandatory Technical and Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs) outlined below. Applicants who do not submit a supplemental narrative statement that addresses these factors will be ineligible for further consideration. The narrative portion for the Technical Qualifications MUST NOT EXCEED 6 PAGES TOTAL. The supplemental narrative statement for the Executive Core Qualifications should address the necessary level of management skills, characteristics, qualities, specialized knowledge, and technical competence that would indicate successful performance in the SES. This evidence must include clear and concise examples that emphasize the applicant’s level of responsibilities, scope, and complexity of programs managed, program accomplishments, policy initiatives, and level of contacts. The narrative portion for the Executive Core Qualifications MUST NOT EXCEED 10 PAGES. For guidance in preparing a narrative statement addressing the ECQs, applicants can access OPM’s website at https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/senior-executive-service/executive-core-qualifications/
The following categories of applicants may omit the mandatory Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs), but MUST address the Technical Qualification factors:
- Applicants who are currently serving under a SES career appointment (must provide a copy of Standard Form 50--Notification of Personnel Action that documents career appointment to the SES).
- Applicants who are eligible for reinstatement to the SES (must provide a copy of Standard Form 50--Notification of Personnel Action that documents career appointment to the SES).
- Applicants who are graduates of OPM-approved SES Candidate Development Programs (must provide proof of OPM Qualifications Review Board certification).
TECHNICAL QUALIFICATIONS – MANDATORY
1. Demonstrated knowledge and ability to establish, adapt, and continually examine program regulations, policies, structure, resources and performance to implement an organization’s mission, strategic goals and vision.
2. Demonstrated executive leadership in implementing disaster response and recovery programs, regulations, policies and procedures in collaboration with Regional, Federal, State, local, Tribal and territorial partners, as well as private sector and non-governmental organizations.
3. Demonstrated executive-level experience building partnerships across diverse emergency management, government and community partners to address emerging needs and pilot innovations across all phases of emergency management and grants management.
- To ensure the accomplishment of our mission, DHS requires every employee to be reliable and trustworthy. To meet those standards, all selected applicants must undergo and successfully pass a background investigation for Top Secret/SCI as a condition of placement into this position. This may include a credit check after initial job qualifications are determined (Mythbuster), review of financial issues, such as delinquency in the payment of debts, child support and/or tax obligations, as well as certain criminal offenses and illegal use or possession of drugs. For more information on background investigations for Federal jobs please visit the OPM website at https://www.opm.gov/investigations/background-investigations/.
- DHS uses E-verify, an internet based system, to confirm the eligibility of all newly hired employees to work in the United States. Learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities.
- This is a Non-Bargaining Unit position.
- Relocation and recruitment incentives MAY be authorized.
- Persons newly appointed to a career SES position are required to serve a one-year probationary period.
- All candidates must be able to deploy with little or no advance notice to anywhere in the United States and its territories for an extended period of time.
- If selected, you will be subject to 24-hour on-call in the event of an emergency. In this event, this service may include duties other than those specified in the official position description. Selectee must be able to relocate to emergency sites with little advance notice and function under intense physical and mental stress.
- If selected for this position you MAY be required to attend a one week Emergency Manager Orientation (EMO) in Emmitsburg, MD. Travel is at FEMA’s expense and will occur from Sunday to Friday.
- Mandatory Direct Deposit/Electronic Funds Transfer (DD/EFT) for salary payment is a condition of employment at DHS/FEMA. Selectee will be required to participate in DD/EFT.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
EXECUTIVE CORE QUALIFICATIONS – MANDATORY
ECQ-1. LEADING CHANGE
This core qualification involves the ability to bring about strategic change, both within and outside the organization, to meet organizational goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to establish an organizational vision and to implement it in a continuously changing environment. (Strategic Thinking, Flexibility, Creativity and Innovation)
ECQ-2. LEADING PEOPLE
This core qualification involves the ability to lead people toward meeting the organization's vision, mission, and goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to provide an inclusive workplace that fosters the development of others, facilitates cooperation and teamwork, and supports constructive resolution of conflicts. (Leveraging Diversity, Developing Others)
ECQ-3. RESULTS DRIVEN
This core qualification involves the ability to meet organizational goals and customer expectations. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to make decisions that produce high-quality results by applying technical knowledge, analyzing problems, and calculating risks. (Accountability, Entrepreneurship, Technical Credibility)
ECQ-4. BUSINESS ACUMEN
This core qualification involves the ability to manage human, financial, and information resources strategically. (Technology Management; Human Capital Management)
ECQ-5. BUILDING COALITIONS
This core qualification involves the ability to build coalitions internally and with other Federal agencies, State and local governments, nonprofit and private sector organizations, foreign governments, or international organizations to achieve common goals. (Partnering; Influencing/Negotiating)
To preview questions please click here.