Software Engineer, Health Information Technology, Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center - Georgetown
Software Engineer, Health Information Technology, Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center - Georgetown University Medical Center
Georgetown Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center (LCCC) clinicians are dedicated to providing the best professional care, delivered with compassion, for all patients. Georgetown Lombardi's seeks to prevent, treat, and cure cancers by linking scientific discovery, expert and compassionate patient care, quality education, and partnership with the community; guided by the principle of cura personalis - care for the whole person.
The Software Engineer develops software applications to support the Shared Resources, Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center. S/he participates in numerous high profile projects to streamline the shared resources data collection, integration, and analysis; and works closely with investigators and a team of Database and Software engineers to develop software solutions to facilitate the integration, management, and mining of clinical and experimental data from core facilities, such as the Tissue Bank and Patient Registries. Reporting to the Director of Health Information Technology, the Software Engineer has duties that include but are not limited to:
- Manages the identification, selection, testing, and implementation of new and current technologies for data retrieval, integration and visualization
- Maintains high quality electronic research database by performing weekly quality assurance (QA) along with as needed update of research database forms.
- Troubleshoots issues that may arise from electronic questionnaire platform and liaises with vendor to resolve issues.
- Generates reports utilizing research database on a weekly basis to quantify enrolled research participants, and monitors completion of study-related activities and study progress.
- Understands and implements University Information Services (UIS) and LCCC security policies and best practices on all projects.
- Supervises data security procedures and client databases to ensure compliance with UIS/LCCC policies.
- Develops, tests, and deploys software applications for the electronic data integration, standardization management, storage, and analysis across all LCCC Shared Resources.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science/Software Engineering or Mathematics (with a computer science concentration) - Master's preferred
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Capacity for independent work
- Comfortability working in an academic research environment as a part of a multi-disciplinary team
- Experience with open source web application development
- Experience programming in Java and/or Python and a good understanding of object oriented design concepts
- Solid understanding of database concepts and proficiency in storing and retrieving data from a database using an object relational mapping technology
- Familiarity with data management concepts and ETL (extract, transform, and load) tools and procedures
- Proficiency in SQL and ability to load manipulate and query large datasets
- Industry work experience
- Experience with NoSQL databases such as MongoDB
- Specific experience with Grails, Groovy, and JBoss
Current Georgetown Employees:
If you currently work at Georgetown University, please exit this website and login to GMS (gms.georgetown.edu) using your Net ID and password. Then select the Career worklet on your GMS Home dashboard to view Jobs at Georgetown.
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any position at Georgetown University you must submit a cover letter and resume for each position of interest for which you believe you are qualified. These documents are not kept on file for future positions.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please click here for more information, or contact the Office of Institutional Diversity, Equity, and Affirmative Action (IDEAA) at 202-687-4798 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Need some assistance with the application process? Please call 202-687-2500. For more information about the suite of benefits, professional development and community involvement opportunities that make up Georgetown's commitment to its employees, please visit the Georgetown Works website.
Georgetown University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer fully dedicated to achieving a diverse faculty and staff. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, and sexual orientation), disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.