Administrative and Office Specialist III
Job Category : Classified Staff
Working hours :
Salary : Commensurate with education and experience.
Web Announcement :
Administrative Assistant Department of Systems Engineering and Operations Research
The George Mason University Department of Systems Engineering and Operations Research (SEOR), within the Volgenau School of Engineering, seek a proactive, organized and self-reliant professional for an Administrative Assistant position. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Masonâ€™s academic and culturally inclusive environment. This position reports to the Chair of SEOR and has direct responsibility for administratively supporting the Chair. The position supports the following departmental programs: BS in Systems Engineering, MS in Systems Engineering, MS in Operations Research, and PhD in Systems Engineering and Operations Research. The position also supports the interdisciplinary BS in Cybersecurity Engineering, which is hosted by the SEOR Department, and the interdisciplinary MS in Data Analytics Engineering through the Predictive Analytics and Financial Engineering concentrations. This position will work in conjunction with one or more other SEOR Administrative and Program Specialists.
Responsibilities: The SEOR Administrative Assistant is a key person in the academic and administrative management of the SEOR Department. Key responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Management of office budget: Reconcile department accounts, resolve related budget issues.
- Management of departmental databases, web pages, e-mail lists: Maintain databases of undergraduate and graduate students. Maintain and update SEOR web pages. Maintain faculty, adjunct, student, alumni, advisory board e-mail lists. Maintain SEOR calendar.
- Student advising: Provide information guidance and assistance to SEOR students regarding administrative and academic matters. Assign faculty advisors. Administer plan of study for all students. Notify students of potential issues.
- Graduation coordination: Review online graduation submissions and graduation requirements for all SEOR students. Verify that all paperwork has been completed.
- Coordination of class schedules: Coordinate teaching schedules with the Department Chair. Manage schedules via university information system. Monitor enrollments. Coordinate with the scheduling office to make necessary changes to classes.
- Program support for contract courses: Perform administrative duties associated with contract courses including coordination of teaching schedules and processing special payments.
- Perform personnel actions regarding adjunct faculty and teaching assistants.
- Make arrangements for departmental functions such as advisory board meetings, seminars, retreats and receptions.
- Provide support for updating departmental brochures and catalog.
The successful candidate will be self-motivated, have good communication, diplomacy and interpersonal skills; ability to maintain confidentiality; ability to efficiently and effectively work in a fast paced environment; and the ability to work independently when needed and in a team-oriented environment when needed. Must effectively prioritize work assignments and manage time effectively. Must effectively handle multiple responsibilities simultaneously and meet deadlines, often under pressure, while maintaining flexibility regarding changes in priorities.
- Ability to receive, follow, and adhere to instructions;
- Openness to constructive feedback;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills (both written and verbal), customer service skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community;
- Knowledge of university procedures, policies and regulations;
- Ability to work within university information systems;
- Accounting experience with interpretation of expenditures in accounts payable and receivable;
- Proficient computer skills and demonstrated experience with office software (particularly Microsoft Word and Excel) and email applications
- Ability to maintain and build positive relationships with Mason faculty and staff, students, the general public and external audiences;
- Ability to wisely handle situations that involve conflict; and
- Professional demeanor.
- Bachelorâ€™s degree or equivalent in training and experience and demonstrated directly relevant experience with office and financial management.
Special Instructions : For full consideration, applicants must apply at https://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application for position 01500z; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
MasonAd : Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report Up and Coming spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Masons diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
Equity Statement : George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Close Date :