Free Speech Legal Clinic Fellow
Job Category : Admin or Professional Faculty
Working hours :
Salary : Commensurate with education and experience.
Web Announcement :
Free Speech Clinic Fellow
Purpose of the Organization: The Liberty and Law Center is a new academic center within Scalia Law School. Its mission is to provide a forum to learn about the role of law in protecting and promoting liberty, challenge government encroachment upon liberty, and lead the discussion of the laws role in protecting and promoting liberty.
Purpose of the Position: The Liberty and Law Center at the Antonin Law School is looking for a Free Speech Clinic Fellow to run a new Free Speech Clinic for law students, which will begin in Fall of 2018. The Free Speech Clinic Fellow will collaborate with the Clinic Director to manage, instruct, and support the activities of the Free Speech Clinic. It is anticipated that the Clinic will focus on two core First Amendment objectives: (1) litigating and supporting cases and other legal proceedings that further the cause of free speech: and (2) training a group of future lawyers who want to advance their knowledge of the status of freedom of speech in the United States, and seek practical training in protecting freedom of speech. This is a full-time position for a period of two-years, and is benefits eligible. The position may be renewable. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Masons academic and culturally inclusive environment.
Duties: At the direction of the Clinic Director and the Centers leadership, the Fellows responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Serve as the day-to-day manager of the Clinic.
- Provide supervision and instruction to students in the Clinic, including feedback, mentoring, and training.
- Manage ongoing cases, ensuring that the work is done in a timely and professional manner.
- Assist with the organization and teaching of the Clinic, focusing on substantive knowledge of First Amendment doctrine and the litigation process, as well as effective legal writing, advocacy, and client relations skills.
- Develop the focus of cases the Clinic will work on, including developing and maintaining relationships with public interest law firms with which the Clinics expects to collaborate.
- Assist in managing the marketing and promotion of the Clinic. Required qualifications:
- A Juris Doctor degree:
- License to practice law in Virginia, or ability to obtain a Virginia bar license within a short timeframe; and
- Significant litigation experience; or (2) a demonstrated interest in constitutional law and public interest litigation. Preferred qualifications and skills:
- A strong interest in freedom of speech and the First Amendment:
- Demonstrated relevant experience;
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with others and execute projects;
- Strong analytical and research skills;
- Strong spoken and written communication skills; and
- Highly self-motivated and detail-oriented with an ability to advance projects in a self-directed way.
Special Instructions : For full consideration, applicants must apply at https://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a one-page cover letter, resume (no longer than two pages), writing sample, no longer than five pages (can be an excerpt from a longer work) and a list of three professional references with contact information.
MasonAd : Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report Up and Coming spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Masons diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
Equity Statement : George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Close Date :