Vice President of Business Development
Established in 1974, the Solar Energy Industries Association (SEIA) is the national trade association of the solar energy industry. The mission of SEIA is to build a strong solar industry to power America. SEIA is an equal opportunity employer.
The Vice President of Business Development is a critical new addition to the executive team reporting to the President & CEO. The successful candidate will assume a highly visible role, responsible for leading and expanding all business development activities at SEIA, and overseeing SEIA’s membership and events teams. Working closely with other senior leaders, the Vice President of Business Development will serve as the primary staff member charged with growing and diversifying SEIA’s fiscal resources.
- Work with executive team to develop and execute on overall organizational strategic goals.
- Collaborate closely with the association’s Chief Business Officer to implement best practices in identifying new business development opportunities for the Association.
- Define measurable business development metrics, conduct reporting and data analysis to track performance, and share progress with leadership team and the Board.
- Be the driving force in the development of the work ethic, culture and values of the business development team.
- Collaborate with stakeholders across the company to translate our existing capabilities into revenue generating opportunities.
Business Development and Non-Dues Revenue:
- Build and execute overarching business development strategy with the goal of substantially increasing revenue generation capabilities that align with the organization’s overall goals and strategy.
- Diversify the sources of revenue to the association by identifying and creating new products and services that can be offered to members and non-members.
- Maintain active participation and representation of SEIA at key industry events and trade shows.
- Identify and pursue funding opportunities from foundations and other organizations that would support the work of the association.
- Supervise the Director of Membership and provide strategic guidance for new member acquisition, member retention, premium member upgrades, and member service.
- Define clear business targets with the Director of Membership and the entire membership team and ensure that they are met.
- Work with the membership team to identify opportunities to grow and market SEIA membership to new audiences.
- Serve as the primary liaison between membership and other departments within the organization.
- Track and report membership trends and outcomes to the executive team and the Board.
Meetings & Events:
- Supervise the Senior Manager of Meetings & Events and provide strategic guidance for new revenue generating events.
- Oversee the development and execution of all SEIA revenue-generating events.
- Review and sign all contracts relating to meeting and event commitments.
- Work with both the meetings & events team and finance in developing, reviewing and approving joint-event cost breakdowns.
- Oversee the development of the annual meetings & events budget.
- Collaborate closely with our partner, Solar Energy Trade Shows (SETS), and SEIA’s representatives on the SETS Board of Managers to grow the success of our Solar Power events.
- 8+ years of business development
- 5+ years working in business development in the solar industry
- Extensive knowledge of market dynamics in the solar industry
- Proven record of accomplishments in delivering quantifiable impact to the bottom line.
- Demonstrated experience in identifying value creation opportunities and executing on a plan to ensure the value is capitalized on.
- Business strategy and market development expertise with deep analytical and business modeling skills.
- Exceptional verbal presentation and written communication skills, including public speaking.
- Ability to work collaboratively with many different internal and external constituencies.
- Ability to strategically frame issues and solutions; adept at driving groups towards decision.
- Proven ability to recognize industry change, develop understanding of long-term implications, and deliver recommended strategies for new business opportunities.
- Ability to manage a team of professionals to execute on the business development strategy.
- Bachelor’s degree required, graduate degree preferred.