Chemist (Team Lead)
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
BASIC EDUCATION REQUIREMENT:
All applicants must meet the following education requirement:
Degree: physical sciences, life sciences, or engineering that included 30 semester hours in chemistry, supplemented by course work in mathematics through differential and integral calculus, and at least 6 semester hours of physics.
Combination of education and experience -- course work equivalent to a major as shown in A above, including at least 30 semester hours in chemistry, supplemented by mathematics through differential and integral calculus, and at least 6 semester hours of physics, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENT:
IN ADDITION TO MEETING THE BASIC EDUCATION REQUIREMENT, ALL APPLICANTS MUST ALSO:
In order to qualify for the position of Chemist, GS-1320-14, you must have one year of specialized experience, equivalent to the GS-13 in the Federal service which include experience at a level of difficulty and responsibility of regulatory activities of hematology products; experience in the regulatory activities in the areas of plasma-derived and recombinant products to include the review of fibrin sealants and related combination products; and chemically and genetically modified versions of coagulation factors.
PhD is preferred but is not a requirement.
ADDITIONAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- If you are serving, or have served in the last 5 years (from 04/30/2018) as an Executive Branch political, Schedule C, or Non-career SES appointee, HHS/FDA may be required to obtain approval by the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) prior to beginning employment. You can find out if you have held one of these appointment types by looking at your Standard Form 50s in your Electronic Official Personnel Folder (eOPF), in Section 5 where the legal authorities are listed. If you have served or are currently serving, you must provide a copy of your SF-50, Notification of Personnel Action, documenting this appointment. In addition, you will be required to respond to the question in the assessment and certify your responses to the questionnaire. Political Appointee FAQ - OPM
- Incentives may be authorized; however, this is contingent upon funds availability. If authorized, certain incentives will require you to sign a service agreement to remain in the Federal government for a period of up to 3 years. Note: This statement does not imply nor guarantee an incentive will be offered and paid. Incentives include the following: moving expenses, recruitment or relocation incentive; student loan repayment, superior qualifications appointment, creditable service for annual leave for prior non-federal work experience or prior uniformed military service, etc.
- Pre-Employment Physical: NO
- Drug Testing Requirement: NO
- License Requirement: NO
- Immunization Requirement: NO
- Mobility Agreement Required: NO
- Bargaining Unit Position: NO
- Veteran's Preference: If you plan to apply for any time of Veterans Preference, please pay careful attention to the "Required Documents" section for more information about what to provide in your application. USAJOBS Veterans Site.
- Selective Service Registration: Males born after December 31, 1959 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service. You can learn more by visiting the Selective Service Registration site.
- Schedule A: If you plan to apply under Schedule A based on a disability, please pay careful attention to the "Required Documents" section for more information about what to provide in your application. Disability Employment
- Inter-agency and Career Transition Assistance Programs: If you are a displaced Federal employee and plan to apply under CTAP or ICTAP, please pay careful attention to the "Required Documents" section for more information about what to provide in your application. Workforce Restructuring.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the job opportunity announcement closes (at 11:59 pm ET on 04/30/2018), a review of your resume and supporting documentation will be conducted, the information will be compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine your eligibility for Federal employment, and then whether or not you are qualified for this particular position.
If, after reviewing your resume and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your responses when compared to your background information, you may be deemed ineligible or your score may be adjusted to more accurately reflect your skills and abilities.
Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
Basis of Rating: Category rating procedures will be used to rate and rank candidates. The category assignment is a measure of the degree in which your background matches the competencies required for this position. Qualified candidates will be assigned to one of the following quality categories: Best Qualified, Well Qualified, or Qualified.
The Category Rating Process does not add veteran's preference points but protects the rights of veterans by placing them ahead of non-preference eligibles within each category. Preference eligibles who meet the minimum qualification requirements and who have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10 percent must be listed in the highest quality category (except in the case of scientific or professional positions at the GS-9 level or higher).
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics). You need not respond to the KSA's directly, but your resume should contain sufficient information to demonstrate possession of the Competencies.
Mastery of all related Agency regulatory programs and the sciences that support those programs.
1. Must possess extensive knowledge of the policies, practices, differences, peculiarities, and past and present intentions of the regulated industries.
2. Extensive knowledge of FDA legislation, policies, regulations and procedures, court decisions in precedents, organizational structures, and interrelationships with other organizations within and outside of the federal government.
3. Mastery of the principles, theories, and practices of his or her scientific discipline and associated disciplines.
4. Mastery would include authoritative knowledge in biochemistry, molecular biology, chemistry, protein structure and function, analytical techniques relating to the manufacture of plasma-derived and recombinant proteins in the coagulation pathways.
5. Thorough knowledge of the applicable laws, regulations, policies, and guidelines concerning biological products in the field of expertise and associated disciplines to make specific recommendations and/or decisions.
6. Thorough understanding of the applicable portions of applicable regulations and guidelines, and ability to provide guidance to the reviewers when specific regulations, guidance's, or precedents are not available or apparent.
7. Mastery of program, scientific, and technical knowledge, skills and abilities that are used to develop and materially redefine or redesign broad and complex categories of products.
To preview the application assessment questions, use the link below: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10185015