Lead Firefighter (Basic Life Support)
4 days left
- Full Time
Occasional travel - Business travel 5%
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
Who May Apply: Only applicants who meet one of the employment authority categories below are eligible to apply for this job. You will be asked to identify which category or categories you meet, and to provide documents which prove you meet the category or categories you selected. See Proof of Eligibility for an extensive list of document requirements for all employment authorities.
- Current (Directorate of Emergency Services, Fire Prevention and Fire Protection, Ft. Belvoir VA) employees with competitive status
- Current Civilian Employees of the Organization
- Priority Placement Program (PPP), Program S (Military Spouse) registrant
In order to qualify, you must meet the education and/or experience requirements described below. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application. Additional information about transcripts is in this document.
Specialized Experience: One year of specialized experience which includes working as a fully trained member of a firefighting crew, directing members of the crew in the care and maintenance of firefighting apparatus and equipment. Directing crew in the full performance of firefighting tasks such as, structures, equipment, facilities, hazardous materials response, wild fire response and confined space and high angles rescues. Provide and/or assist in training firefighters in firefighting, emergency management services, fire prevention, fire techniques and procedures. Assign fire prevention tasks to crew members and review their work. Inspect and test fire extinguishing equipment and systems. Respond to fires and emergencies. This definition of specialized experience is typical of work performed at the next lower grade/level position in the federal service (GS-07).
Selective Placement Factors: Certifications recieved from the following: Department of Defense (DOD) Firefighter Certification System, International Fire service Accreditation Congress (IFSAC) or National Professional Qualification System (NPQS)/ProBoard. (1) Airport Firefighter (2) Driver Operator Pumper (3) Firefighter I and II (4) Fire Officer I (5) Fire Instructor I (6) Fire Inspector I (7) Hazardous Material Awareness and Operations (8) Emergency Medical Technician Basic or Higher.
You will be evaluated on the basis of your level of competency in the following areas:
- Emergency Communication
- Emergency Response
- Fire Prevention, Inspection, and Code Compliance
- Fire Suppression
- Firefighting Equipment
Time in Grade Requirement: Applicants who have held a General Schedule (GS) position within the last 52 weeks must have 52 weeks of Federal service at the next lower grade or equivalent (GS-07).
Some federal jobs allow you to substitute your education for the required experience in order to qualify. For this job, you must meet the qualification requirement using experience alone -- no substitution of education for experience is permitted.
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959, must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- Two year trial/probationary period may be required.
- Direct deposit of pay is required.
- Selection is subject to restrictions resulting from Department of Defense referral system for displaced employees.
- If you have retired from federal service and you are interested in employment as a reemployed annuitant, see the information in the Reemployed Annuitant information sheet.
- This is a Career Program (CP) 12 position
- Multiple positions may be filled from this announcement.
- Salary includes applicable locality pay or Local Market Supplement.
- This position is covered by the Alcohol and Drug Abuse Prevention and Control Program. Employee is required to sign a DA Form 5019-R and MUST pass a urinalysis test prior to appointment and periodically thereafter.
- Maximum Entry Age: (a) For initial appointments, you cannot have reached your 37th birthday by the day of appointment. (b) If you have passed the designated entry age limit noted, but have previously served in a covered position you may be eligible to re-enter the fire service provided that you: 1) meet all applicable qualifications for the position; and 2) will be able to complete a total of 20 years of covered and creditable federal firefighter service by the time the federal firefighter reaches the age of 57. Prior service in covered positions and credit towards retirement may be subtracted from your age to determine if the federal firefighter meets the maximum entry age. Based on the description above, do you meet the age requirement?
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the announcement has closed, a review of your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) will be used to determine whether you meet the qualification requirements listed on this announcement. If you are minimally qualified, your résumé and supporting documentation will be compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine your level of experience. If, after reviewing your résumé and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and/or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully when applying, errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
You should list any relevant performance appraisals and incentive awards in your resume as that information may be taken into consideration during the selection process. If selected, you may be required to provide supporting documentation.