Information Technology Specialist I
Job Category : Classified Staff
Working hours :
Salary : Salary starting in the upper 50s; commensurate with education and experience.
Web Announcement :
Information Technology Support Specialist
Housing and Residence Life is currently seeking applications from qualified candidates for the Information Technology Support Specialist position. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Masonâ€™s academic and culturally inclusive environment.
Housing and Residence Life is an auxiliary organization within the University Life unit of George Mason University. HRL employs over 170 full-time and graduate staff members and over 350 undergraduate student staff members, and is committed to provide a safe, well-maintained student-centered environment that is innovative and inclusive of the global community. It is dedicated to creating a home that enriches the experiences of our students, staff, and faculty.
The Information Technology (IT) Support Specialist is a professional who is primarily responsible for providing enterprise-level support to Housing and Residence Life staff and systems. On-site and remote support services include desktops, laptops, printers, servers, access control devices, mobile devices, and other peripherals for an estimated 145 workstations, over 150 staff and student users, and lock infrastructure in over 40 residential buildings. The IT support specialist is also responsible for IT asset management, leading a team of student technical assistants, staff training, and serving in a liaison role with central IT for various services. This position will help ensure the department is current with technology and compliant with George Mason Universityâ€™s computing requirements.
Information Technology Support Specialist will provide technical support in resolving staff desktop, laptop, printer, network, and mobile device issues and the maintenance of housing equipment. The IT Support Specialist will be the subject matter expert (SME) in imaging, deploying, and maintaining personal computer health, backups and improved sustainability. The position will serve as an IT Team representative to departmental neighborhood staff, reporting neighborhood concerns and IT issues back to IT team accordingly. The IT Support Specialist will build and maintain a team of student assistants to enhance the support service provided to HRL staff.
The IT Support Specialist will be the server administrator, performing routine maintenance of servers. The position will ensure servers managed by Housing are maintained and backed up appropriately. IT Support Specialist will follow University and industry best practices in managing Enterprise systems and initiate improvements to optimize system utilization. The Specialist will also provide equipment management support in the acquisition, inventory, transfer, and disposal of IT equipment within HRL.
Information Technology Support Specialist will provide training support for professional and student staff on how to effectively utilize their IT equipment and software applications. The IT Support Specialist will assist with the development of usage policies and procedures for how HRL staff should safeguard their IT equipment from threats. The Specialist will conduct remote and onsite training for Housing software applications and ensure staff are trained on how to use and secure mobile devices.
Required Qualifications: Education or training:
- Bachelorâ€™s degree in computer science or information technology, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Preferred Qualifications: Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with demonstrated success with customer service and satisfaction.
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills and attention to detail.
- Proven ability to manage time effectively.
- Ability to exercise independent judgment and initiative.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team oriented environment.
Level and type of experience:
- Ability to identify and correct technical issues by using root cause analysis techniques and problem resolution both onsite at physical location and remotely utilizing remote assistance tools.
- Hands-on experience with Windows operating systems and system diagnostics.
- Demonstrated expertise and understanding of applications and software.
- Experience applying software packages to desktops, laptops, and mobile devices using SCCM or similar system configuration management software.
- Proficiency with managing IT trouble ticket solutions and resolving incidents in a multi-tier environment.
- Ability to learn new technologies via computer-based training, reading documentation, or hands on training.
- Familiarity with server database systems and query writing.
- Familiarity with systems design and development, project management and/or systems implementation.
- Demonstrated experience working in a team environment.
Special Instructions : For full consideration, applicants must apply by June 28, 2018 at https://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
MasonAd : Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report Up and Coming spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Masons diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
Equity Statement : George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Close Date :